This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Close Call With Milky Way...

buffettbride

buffettbride Enthusiast

Last night my daughter ate a milky way! :o I was waiting for the full-on reaction knowing that Snickers = Safe and Milky Way = Malt.

Thankfully, no reaction (GI anyway) ever came other than a few raunchy belches but boy was I mad!! I think she made an honest mistake but I could swear I've told her Milky Way is not safe (it wasn't the dark variety). You'd think she had just run out into traffic the way I scolded her.

Hopefully we'll make it through this one symptom free and I've promised her that just because it is barley, doesn't make it any less damaging than wheat. All our accidental glutenings have been with wheat, so I didn't really know what would happen if it was malt/barley.

I have assured her up and down that just because she didn't have a reaction *this time* does by no means give her license to go Milky Way crazy.

Of course, now that it is Saturday morning and she has to clean her room, suddenly she "doesn't feel good." Ohhhhhh the drama. :P

I'm glad she's safe, though!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Virgie Apprentice

:) Hi! I'm glad that she felt ok after eating it. It scares me sometimes when my daughter tells me her stomach hurts & I try to think of what she ate. I'm sure she will remember next time not to eat that kind of candybar.

"Of course, now that it is Saturday morning and she has to clean her room, suddenly she "doesn't feel good." Ohhhhhh the drama. :P " hehe That kind of sounds like my daughter. She said her stomach hurt and didn't want to go to Sunday School but she did want to go shopping after church. Because she said I'm sure I'll feel better by then. Sure! Drama, drama :)

Take care

Virgie

Last night my daughter ate a milky way! :o I was waiting for the full-on reaction knowing that Snickers = Safe and Milky Way = Malt.

Thankfully, no reaction (GI anyway) ever came other than a few raunchy belches but boy was I mad!! I think she made an honest mistake but I could swear I've told her Milky Way is not safe (it wasn't the dark variety). You'd think she had just run out into traffic the way I scolded her.

Hopefully we'll make it through this one symptom free and I've promised her that just because it is barley, doesn't make it any less damaging than wheat. All our accidental glutenings have been with wheat, so I didn't really know what would happen if it was malt/barley.

I have assured her up and down that just because she didn't have a reaction *this time* does by no means give her license to go Milky Way crazy.

Of course, now that it is Saturday morning and she has to clean her room, suddenly she "doesn't feel good." Ohhhhhh the drama. :P

I'm glad she's safe, though!

Archived