Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

I Cannot Believe

Just cause soy sauce has wheat in it I now have to cut out all Asian food - this sucks!

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

ya i know that- but what about restaurants?

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Join eNewsletter

ya i know that- but what about restaurants?

Often times restaurants that are just Thai food have many gluten-free options and PF Changs offers a gluten-free menu as well.

Unfortunately, most restaurants, Asian and otherwise, make it tricky to eat out because of the risks of cross contamination. Agreeably, it sucks. Days of take-out and food delivery will probably be a thing of the past.

I can tell you are really struggling with this, based on your posts, and other than telling you "it sucks but it gets better" I wish there was something more that would help you.

Join eNewsletter

Hey... not sure where you live, but I'm in Boston and it seems to be getting easier... I go to a few different Sushi/Japanese places that carry gluten-free Soy Sauce -- Tamari makes one, and they seem to carry it here. I'm sure if you ask, they'll keep some on hand.

Also - PF Changs cooks with gluten-free soy sauce - as someone mentioned below -- and I just went to a new asian place and will cook to order gluten-free. It's just a matter of finding the right places that will accomodate!

Also - Fish Sauce has gluten in it! Watch out!

Positive Bloodwork & Positive Endoscopy, Gluten Free since 8/29/06

Join eNewsletter

My understanding is that some fish sauce is OK, and some has gluten.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

My local Thai restaurant has been fantastic. They have a lot of gluten-free options on their menu and are always willing to modify things. In my experience, you just need to explain things carefully and you can be easily accommodated at most Asian restaurants -- in fact, they're always my preference over Western cuisine.

Also, as some advice, it helps to go in at relatively quiet times of the day, and to be clear about what you /can/ have in addition to what you can't.

Dreaming of a gluten-, peanut-, capsicum-, mango-free world...

Join eNewsletter

I went in around 4pm to my local thai food place and spoke with the woman there with my dining card in hand and had the best meal. she highlighted what would be able to be modified on the menu (anything with rice or rice noodles really but not a lot of appetizers). i had to eat an early dinner but i plan on going in there a few more times early evening so maybe once i can attemtp to eat at a normal hour! :rolleyes:

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Join eNewsletter

Bring your own soy sauce! I do it regularly, have found a few safe places (mostly thai and japanese), discuss things w/ staff/managers - - no problems!!

:)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

Guest j_mommy

Yup, I carry my own soy sauce when I know i'm going to be eating sushi ect! Works great and they don't mind as long as you're buying their food!

Join eNewsletter

I am from Connecticut too. What is the Thai restaurant that you go to?

My local Thai restaurant has been fantastic. They have a lot of gluten-free options on their menu and are always willing to modify things. In my experience, you just need to explain things carefully and you can be easily accommodated at most Asian restaurants -- in fact, they're always my preference over Western cuisine.

Also, as some advice, it helps to go in at relatively quiet times of the day, and to be clear about what you /can/ have in addition to what you can't.

Join eNewsletter

In my area, I have not had success in talking with staff at Chinese/Japanese places...I wish I could report better though. Hopefully one day.

I wish I had a PF Changs near, I have heard some great things about gluten free options there.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

I have 2 choices for chinese locally, neither have very good food so I stopped going there years ago, cant figure out how they stay in business but maybe some other people actually like them.....

I did go to PF changs once (denver) it was great and the gluten-free menu is pretty cool!

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

I have 2 choices for chinese locally, neither have very good food so I stopped going there years ago, cant figure out how they stay in business but maybe some other people actually like them.....

There is a place near my parents in this little hole in the wall place which is always dirty....No one is ever in there so I am wondering how they stay in business too....I would never set foot in there before celiac.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter