Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizking531

What To Do Next?

So I've been having problems for months now - After a while I went in to the doctor & they gave me an upper & lower scope, blood tests, stool tests, biopsy, & breath test. The breath test came back positive, everything else negative (no celiac). So I get diagnosed with bacteria overgrowth.

The doctor prescribed me Xifaxan - a newer anitbiotic. I did a 14 day run of it. Felt somewhat, but not completely, better. I went in for my follow up appointment & he prescribed me another 30 days on Xifaxan.

I've been taking 2 pills-2 times a day for almost a month and a half now. I feel a bunch better than I did to start with, but I'm getting worried.

To give you a little TMI - My stool went from soft, orange & 12 times a day down to firm, dark & 2-3 times per day back up to soft, shifts between dark brown & light orangeish brown & back up to around 7 times per day.

My energy levels flucuate to a great degree - I'll feel great one day, the next day I'll be awake but that about it, besides being on the potty. I keep trying to get regular exercise, but it seems like if I make it 2 days in a row, I'll be worn out for the next 3.

I've been keeping up on taking a probiotic & trying to steer clear of beer (my main culprit for a bad tummy day). I'm maintaining, at best. I feel better than when I felt really bad, but I know I'm not anywhere near 100% yet. I dont know what to do.

I've been trying to get into a regular rountine of yoga in the evenings and a brisk walk aroud the block in the morning. I try not to eat HFCS, I try to eat organic & natural - lots of veggies, as little processed food as I can. Drink lots of water. I keep trying to wuit smoking, but its hard to go more than 1 day, or else my stomach starts acting really strange - feel like I have to poo constantly, but when I do, I never feel finished.

I've been contemplating going back on to a gluten free diet to see if that helps. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for ways to get back on track?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have you tried taking Ensure or something like that? It might help with nutrients. Talk to the dr and call the manufacturer about the meds. See if they are gluten-free and if that side effect is acceptable.

About going back to gluten-free. Were you gluten-free before but not now? Many of us have negative scopes but still feel considerably better on the diet. If you are going to go gluten-free again, check your bathroom supplies. Suave labels. Check the toothpastes etc. Eat plain basic foods. skip the store bought processed food as much as possible until you heal and feel better. Fried rice is my comfort food. Whatever your is, make large amounts and eat small portions more frequently.

Hope you feel better

Join eNewsletter

Have you tried taking Ensure or something like that? It might help with nutrients. Talk to the dr and call the manufacturer about the meds. See if they are gluten-free and if that side effect is acceptable.

About going back to gluten-free. Were you gluten-free before but not now? Many of us have negative scopes but still feel considerably better on the diet. If you are going to go gluten-free again, check your bathroom supplies. Suave labels. Check the toothpastes etc. Eat plain basic foods. skip the store bought processed food as much as possible until you heal and feel better. Fried rice is my comfort food. Whatever your is, make large amounts and eat small portions more frequently.

Hope you feel better

I wasn't gluten free during the testing phase of my doctor extravaganza, but right after I got my tests done I went gluten free. I felt a lot better pretty soon then after I got my results and the doctor told me not to do gluten free because he said I have a bacteria overgrowth, I stopped it. In 1 months time, I'm getting back my old symptoms. I started on gluten free again yesterday & I think this time its for good - unless I go to another GI doc.

Has anyone had any trouble with eating lots & lots of veggies? My gluten-free is near vegetarian & we always have veggies, but she likes them not cooked much - it tears me up after a few days - I get pains inside and it hurts my back and side when I sit.

Join eNewsletter

Has anyone had any trouble with eating lots & lots of veggies? My gluten-free is near vegetarian & we always have veggies, but she likes them not cooked much - it tears me up after a few days - I get pains inside and it hurts my back and side when I sit.

If you can get you girl freind to pull her veggies out and then let yours cook a bit more, that may help. Watch your spices also, not all are gluten free, McCormick is a good safe brand but read labels on their mix packets. Also if your mostly vegetarian watch out for soy, some of us have problems with it. In addition if you haven't already you may want to cut dairy for a while until you heal. Your digestive system, if you have just gone gluten-free, is going to take some time to heal.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter