This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Party Ideas

angel42

angel42 Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping you all can help. I am almost 7 months pregnant and I am having my baby shower in a few weeks. I really have not done any gluten-free entertaining at all since I have been diagnosed. My sister in law is throwing the shower and we are having it at my moms. Neither my sis in law nor my mom are familiar with gluten-free cooking. My mom seems to believe I do not really even need to be gluten-free since its such an inconvenience to her.

It seems like the pervailing idea among my family is that we will have one thing I can eat and then it'll be gluten-palooza for everyone else. Now if it was someone elses shower I wouldn't care. Since it is my shower I think it's fair that I should be able to eat all of the food served. Since my family is not really on board I am just going to do all of the cooking myself in my gluten-free kitchen. That's where you guys come in. I need ideas for fun party food that is 100% gluten-free.

Any fun gluten-free party food ideas? I really need your help! Does anyone have gluten-free hors d'oervues they really like? gluten-free appetizers? Finger food?

let me know!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I would bake some cupcakes and desert items from mixes like Pamelas or from the Gluten-free Pantry. Pasta and potato salads are also yummie. There are gluten-free crackers that you could use for finger food. Fresh fruit and veggies with dip, chips, stuffed shells, and anything that's your favourite would be good, I think. I think you'll do well! Good luck!

Darn210 Enthusiast

You could do something like a baked potato bar or a nachos (supreme)/taco bar. Dessert could be an ice cream sundae bar. Bar, bar, bar . . . got a real theme going here! :lol:

dandelionmom Enthusiast

A taco bar (with seasoned beef, refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cheese, fresh salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc) sounds like lots of fun! It is also nice for people who may have food allergies (vegetarians and picky eaters too!). For side dishes you can have spanish rice and chips with salsa.

Pamela's cake mix makes wonderful cupcakes. You can frost them with either pink or blue frosting (or both!).

Have fun at your shower!

loco-ladi Contributor

Lets see at my anniversary party we are having cake, meat and veggie trays...

I do however like the sounds of the super nachos and the IC sundae bar

Another thought would be brownies, not sure what you normally use but the cause your special brand is awesome, its my favorite so far. You could also do cookies, pamela's has some already made or can use a mix as well.

So do you know yet if it a boy or a girl? Or are you waiting for the big surprise?

JennyC Enthusiast

You could also have fruit and veggie trays. Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix is gluten free. I often make a 7 layer dip, but a taco bar would be better! I agree Pamela's mix make good cupcakes. You could also get a variety of icecream and have an icecream bar. Edy's/Dryers icecream is gluten free unless it has an obvious ingredient like cookie dough in it.

Guhlia Rising Star

Deviled eggs

Pork sautes (pork saute'd in a brown sugar/soy sauce marinade) on mini skewers

mini meatballs on toothpicks

veggie platter with ranch dip

fruit platter with marshmallow dip

chips

gluten free pretzels

chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I dont have much to add food wise, the taco bar sounds great! Im sorry you have to make the food all on your own but at least you know you will be okay and not get sick. Im sorry your family isn't supportive, Even though we have 7 celiacs in the immediate family my dad is a pain about the food still and expected me to have a few gluten foods for the guests when my own daughter cant eat it and its her birthday party :rolleyes: One of the few times I stood up to my dad and basically told him to stuff it!

So selfish on the part of others and inconsiderate. If my daughter gets glutened from their house when they are not careful about crumbs I always bring it up to them if she gets sick so next time they will be more careful and understanding. They arent as considerate with me but they feel bad when its my 4 year old. Unfortunately its not uncommon to have unsupportive family members.

Congrats on the new baby!

dionnek Enthusiast

At my sister's shower (I'm the gluten free one - not her, but since I was throwing it everything I made was gluten-free and just the cake wasn't) we had 3 ingredient peanut buttetr cookies (everyone wanted the recipe!), salads, fruit and cream cheese/marshmallow fluff dip (so easy), turkey and cheese wraps, roast beef and cream cheese wraps, deviled eggs, chips and salsa. I love the gluten-free Pantry brownie mix, and you could also make banana bread with Pamela's baking mix ahead of time and just freeeze it. That would save you some baking on the day/week of the shower :)

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Mimi dip :D - 3 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, 1 cup salsa...blend together until really smooth. Spread on a long thin platter...top with shredded cheese, chopped green pepper, thinly sliced scallions, diced tomato and black olives. Serve with Tortilla Chips.

Get a lunchmeat tray (just make sure the lunchmeats are gluten free ones)...and get Kinnickinnick Hamburger Rolls for yourself AND make sure that everyone is aware so as not to cross contaminate).

A veggie tray - lots of dips can be made gluten free.

i have a great spinach and artichoke dip recipe that you can serve on tortilla chips.

It is YOUR party and YOU should be able to eat everything on the table.

Even the cake - www.allrecipes.com gluten free yellow cake is AWESOME. I made my son's birthday party cake from that and NO ONE knew at all that it was gluten free.

Juliebove Rising Star

Hummus with raw veggies and gluten-free breadsticks.

Fruit and cheese plate.

Deviled eggs.

Enjoy Life cookies.

Archived