Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aeshlea

Mcdonald's French Fries

I personally stay away from any fast food restraunt, most especially MD's, but I boycotted MD's before I figured out the wheat/gluten issue....

I had bad expiriences in my hometown and when I moved here also had the same issues..

most often these places are run by 16yo's who haven't got a clue....no offence intended to any teens here...

I hate being busy and going thru the drive up and finding out when I get home they screwed up my order.... I trained myself to check my order before leaving and my personal record was 5 attempts to get it right inside after screwing it up at the drive-up... I moved and encountered the same issues.... so no I dont do much fast food and absolutely no drive ups!

The local MD's here was just purchased by a "new owner" and its worse than ever! Alot of people where I work get a quick meal there as its now open 24 hours, more often than not they are forced to call or go back to get their order fixed... so no way am I going to trust my health to these "new owners" either! It only takes an extra 15 minutes to throw some burger and fries on at home when I get there while I unpack groceries or whatever and its a whole lot safer and less stressful!

True, but I don't think that Wendy's is particularly known for their dedicated fryers. I enjoy their chili and baked potato and some salads. They have more of a selection than most fast foods.

Oh Im not vouching for wendy's fryers or anything. Dont get me wrong. Im just saying some, SOME wendy's do have fryers that they are very careful of using as a dedicated fryer. I live by at least six Wendy's and there is only one I would eat the fries at. The employees seem very knowledgable about everything I have asked. I asked if they had a dedicated fryer and the manager came right out and talked about how he prevents cross contamination and what kind of oil they use and stuff. I hadn't even asked about wheat or gluten and he went on to say the the fries are free of wheat and gluten. I also know a few other celiac's from my support group that are really sensetive and trust thier Wendy's fries. But like I said, Im not vouching for every Wendy's. A place is only as good as the people that work there, and I just happen to find a good one. Still though, 9 out of 10 times I still just get the potato. Less fat. Lol

I remember asking a few times, if they had a dedicated fryer. I got the "deer in the headlights" look. :o Turned around and said to myself "nope, not me".

Anyway... I will eat McD's fries on occasion.

Haha, I got that look at a couple of them too. But what are ya gonna do. Personally, I feel every restraunt poses some kind of "glutening" risk to me, but like I said, personally, I feel pretty safe at my Wendy's. So to sum it up, it never hurts to ask. If you get the deer in the headlights look, probably not the best idea to eat there. If they seem to know what they are talking about, use your best judgment. Good luck!

I researched Wendys and found that their chili,baked potatoe with sour cream and chives,and baked potatoe with broccoli and cheese are gluten free.Their fries are also gluten free.I also love their low carb burgers,which is a burger without bread.

Please note that Wendy's fries are NOT gluten free in Canada (dedicated fryer or not).

http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/ca/gluten_free_list.pdf

I live in Metro Atlanta and I think most Wendy's here have dedicated fryers. Wendy's and Chick-fil-a are about the only fast food I'll eat now. I had mc D's fries last night and had no isuue but that will NOT be a habit!

Please note that Wendy's fries are NOT gluten free in Canada (dedicated fryer or not).

http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/ca/gluten_free_list.pdf

Excuse me but that statement is jumping to conclusions and possibly erroneous. That site does NOT say the fries have gluten. In fact it doesn't even mention fries. It just does not include fries in the gluten-free list. Could be a cover your butt thing.

Here's the ingredients from Wendy's web site:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small French Fries:

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil Shortening (contains one or more of the following: partially hydrogenated canola oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil), Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate (color protector), Dextrose. Cooked in Vegetable Oil. Note: may be cooked in the same oil as Fish Fillets (where available) and Crispy Chicken Nuggets

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing the fries are not on the gluten-free list because of the disclaimer about possible cross contamination.

best regards, lm

Excuse me but that statement is jumping to conclusions and possibly erroneous. That site does NOT say the fries have gluten. In fact it doesn't even mention fries. It just does not include fries in the gluten-free list. Could be a cover your butt thing.

Here's the ingredients from Wendy's web site:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small French Fries:

Potatoes, Vegetable Oil Shortening (contains one or more of the following: partially hydrogenated canola oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil), Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate (color protector), Dextrose. Cooked in Vegetable Oil. Note: may be cooked in the same oil as Fish Fillets (where available) and Crispy Chicken Nuggets

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing the fries are not on the gluten-free list because of the disclaimer about possible cross contamination.

best regards, lm

My point wasn't to be misleading to Canadian consumers of Wendy's fries, but simply to point out that while the fries may be on the American list, they are not on the Canadian list. If it's not on the gluten free list I assume it contains gluten or comes into contact with gluten. We have not eaten at Wendy's since my son's diagnosis simply because he'd rather have fries than a baked potato with his burger and we've never yet found a Wendy's with a dedicated fryer.