Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dfurlong

Test To Run To Check For Celiacs?

I would like to have lab work run on my daughter before trying a gluten free diet. If I am requesting these tests (blood work), which ones do I request? I know when an endo ran blood tests on me, it was for one thing, and after finding out the result (negative) and doing some research, I found out it was a test that seems to have a lot of false negative. I don't remember what it was though.

Any suggestions to what I should ask for since I have a physician's assistant that will probably run the specific tests I ask for?

Thank you,

Dawn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Dawn,

You should ask for the Celiac Panel--all 5 of them--

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Best of luck :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Thanks! We went on Friday for lab work. Of course, I won't be surprised if the tests I asked for are not the tests that show up. At this point, I don't much care. We are giving the gluten free diet a try. Doctors are just stupid when it comes to this, and we care more about feeling better at this point than trying to have someone say that blood work justifies that gluten is (or shouldn't be) a problem. We all know that does not always happen!

This is for my 14 yr old daughter, chronic fatigue, headaches, dizzyness, nausea (all in varying degress, combinations) for the past 1-1/2 years. She has Hashimoto's, is low in iron. I have Hashi's/anemia/adrenal fatigue/gluten sensitivity (never diagnosed celica, but gluten free). She is currently on a steriod, and has been for the past month. I asked the doctor if this would affect the test (seeing as this would have an anti-inflammatory effect). He said he didn't think so, but I am not so sure. Does anyone know if this would have a negative effect?

I'll post the results when I get them.

Dawn

We did do the blood work on my 14 year old, and of course everything showed negative. I don't have a copy of the lab work, but was told a celiac panel was run. Meanwhile my daughter did go on a gluten free diet for 2 weeks. She had a headache after the first meal, but the headache went away (Friday night). Then by later Saturday afternoon, she had a mild continuous headache, and noted that she was very tired when trying to work on a school project. Sunday brought a more moderate headache (all day) with a little bit of dizzyness and nausea by last night. This morning, moderate headache, nausea. She ate her final meal last night (she says). A chicken/egg salad sandwich! She recognizes eating is causes her to feel sick, thankfully...makes it much easier.

Meanwhile my older daughter had decided to do a gluten free trial. She had been having a head buzzing (or dizzyness)...brain fog, difficulty concentrating and focusing, tiredness. She noted that she was feeling better (none of that head buzz thing and not being able to focus/concentrate). She decided to eat a ding-dong yesterday afternoon. Within a couple of hours, she had quite a good headache and major dizzyness. This just sent her over the edge. Major tears, frustration. Anger and wondering how an ingredient can cause one to feel bad. Not wanting to eat different than her friends. Wondering how she will live on campus at college because she was planning on eating alot of Ramen noodles! She said she hadn't taken her iron yesterday, which can cause her to feel off. She doesn't want to believe this is a problem, but when I told her...okay...you have to be consistent with your iron, we can have your thyroid checked again, etc, maybe it is something else (though I don't believe it is...but she was so emotional)....she commented that it was quite a darn coincidence that she felt okay before eating what she ate (and had been feeling better) and then after eating it...she felt so bad. She couldn't focus on her homework even.

I kind of expected more fight from my younger daughter, she was such a carb addict. BUT...I think that she has felt so awful for the past almost 2 years...and sees she can feel good...that while it is a bummer...it is worth it to not eat the gluten. For my oldest daughter, it is pretty rapid onset. AND...she has always been a more conscientious about her food choices, preferring fruits/veggies and whole grains. It is a definite change. I still get angry on occasion. It is a grieving process of sorts.

My older daughter has not had any tests done. Mostly I feel like it isn't worth the time/energy. And, she has already gone gluten free for 2 weeks. With such a reaction yesterday, I don't see her being able to keep eating gluten again. None of our tests seem to say celiac anyway.

I think we might all be gluten intolerant rather than celiac. Not a one of us has the "typical" celiac symptoms the dumb doctors look for (gasto in nature). We all seem to experience symptoms that are more neurologic in nature. I still use the regular toaster to toast my gluten free waffles, and don't seem to notice anything. I think about this often and wonder if I am fooling myself and am causing damage, and have thought about getting the separate toaster, etc. I think because I feel okay, I haven't taken any steps. Both my daughters don't want to have anything to do with the bread, and are new to gluten free...so everyone is still learning their limits. Meanwhile, I am stocking up on the gluten free products that they do like and working on finding others.

Dawn