Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juliela

Lax- Los Angeles Airport Layover

Hello,

I'll be at LAX for a 6-7 (at least) hour layover in 2 weeks and again on Thanksgiving Day. are there any options for a meal and not just snacks there. I'm not too interested in leaving the airport as we'll have all of our luggage (there is no storage)- unless it is SUPER close. I think it will be crazy there- especially on Thanksgiving.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello,

I live in LA and fly out of LAX quite often. I can't think of anything that is specifically gluten-free. If you get a salad and bring your own dressing or just use lemon and olive oil you should be fine. I don't know if you have ever been to LAX before, but it's a pretty crummy airport (IMO). Their food isn't good, even for people who eat gluten. I would suggest bringing a lot of snacks like Lara Bars, trail mix, chips, etc.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Thanks Kassandra- I was afraid of that. I've heard people say to avoid LAX if at all possible. We will we returning from New Zealand, so I think we'll be tired and hungry and semi-miserable. At least I won't get my hopes too high and I'll hope my gluten-free meal on the plane comes through.

Do you recomend getting out of there or just waiting given the traffic, etc?

Thanks

Do you live in NZ? I lived there for a while...my parents live there. My stepmom is from there!! It will be a long flight, I have done that one many times. Which airline are you taking? I have yet to take a long distance trip since going gluten-free, BUT I know Air NZ is a great airline.

I would just stay in the airport because Thanksgiving is the most traveled day of the entire year! It will be craziness in and around LAX, so I would stay at the airport if you can. It would be possible to leave the airport, but that always makes me nervous...what if a cab doesn't get you back in time? etc. If you want, I can let you know if there are any good restarurants, grocery stores around there just in case you decide to venture out of the airport. Let me know.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Hey Kassandra- Thanks again! I think I will just stay put- I thought about being stuck in traffic and watching our plane fly ovehead!

I'm from New York, but my husband's sister lives in NZ- Small world. They teach at Massey University and live in Pamerston North, so we'll spend most of our time on the north island. We will also be in Sydney for a week on our own. I'm really excited- I think it will be easier being gluten-free there than in the US. I asked our hotel in Sydney if they knew of any restaurants with gluten-free menus in the area and they told me a LOT and then said "Or, you can get room service here, which has a gluten-free menu!"

I did order the gluten-free meals on AIr New Zealand, so we'll see.

I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm dreading the plane ride (and layovers)

Thanks again for the advice!

Julie

I am pleased to recommend the two following restaurants on World Way within the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) :) :

I.

Chili's is at 201 World Way, Westchester, Los Angeles. Phone: (310) 646-3479. On a monthly basis, please visit Chili