Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

Lancaster, Pa - Any Gluten Free Restaurants

Would like to go there with my husband...anyone have any knowledge of the area?

Thanks

Debbie

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Debbie, there are several bed and breakfasts that can accomodate a gluten free diet. I think there are two in the Lancaster area. One is in Lititz, which is just a few miles north of Lancaster, very cute little town. I can dig up the contact information if you like.

As far as restaurants, Lancaster has an Outback and a Carraba's as well as a halfway knowledgeable Chili's. Our Outback serves gluten free beer (Bard's Tale) too!!! I've heard that Willow Valley's one restaurant can do a gluten free meal, but I've never tried them. I called Gibraltar's in Lancaster near F&M a while back, they said they can absolutely do a gluten free meal. Its fine dining. You may want to call a few days ahead of time to confirm they can still do a gluten free meal. I've also heard that the Dutch Apple Dinner Theater can accomodate a gluten free diet, but I"m not sure how much I'd trust that. Take it for what its worth.

For gluten free shopping, hit Stauffer's of Kissel Hill in Lititz and Giant in Lititz. They're both south of Lititz, so they're only a few minutes from Lancaster. There are also a few health food stores around here, but they're all horribly overpriced.

Have fun in Lancaster!

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Join eNewsletter

I know this is a tough one, but what about gluten-free breakfast in restaurant in Lancaster? (other than at a B&B).

Sure, let me know names of those B&B's that can go gluten-free....

Thanks

Debbie

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

http://www.harvestmoonbandb.com/

http://www.artbybruce.com/breakfast.htm

http://www.speedwellforge.com/ - double check on the gluten status of this one. I recall it as being gluten free, but couldn't find it on their website. Either way its a beautiful area just a few miles from my house. The scenery is amazing and they also own a wolf sanctuary. How cool.

For gluten free breakfast, good luck!!! Try calling Willow Valley and see what they could do for you. Other than that, McDonalds is your best bet if you don't want to cook for yourself. The McDonalds in Lititz is very good about changing their gloves and such if you ask.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter