Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joni63

Crispy Pizza Crust

Hello,

I really don't like many of the breads/pizza crusts or baked goods I've tried. I cannot stand feeling like I'm eating a flopped attempt at these items.

Is there such a thing as a crispy pizza crust? I love fried corn tortillas and rice crackers and would like to know if any of you ever tried making a pizza crust recipe from primarily corn flour?

I've even used the corn tortillas with sauce and cheese and like it much better than any crust.

Thank you!

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is my pizza crust recipe. When I want a really crispy crust, I use a pizza pan with holes in it instead of the 9 x 13 pan, spray it with PAM, and dust it with corn meal.

gluten-free Pizza Crust

1 packet yeast (about 1 tablespoon)

3/4 cup milk, room temperature

1/2 cup potato starch

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoons baking powder

1 tablespoon xanthan gum

My son likes the Kinnikinnick crusts. I rub a generous amount of olive oil on a cookie sheet and prebake the crust at 375 degrees for 5-10 min. Then I add toppings and bake for another couple minutes. This should help with any premade crusts.

The above recipe sounds great. I think I'll try it.

Does anyone else find homemade gluten free pizza crusts...bland? :rolleyes: I even add garlic and pizza seasoning. I think it's the rice flour. Next time I try to make pizza I will replace a significant part of the rice flour with corn and sweet rice flour. Anyone else have ideas?

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I make the same one Fiddle Faddle does--I leave out the optional seasonnings. It's very good.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

OH!!! I have THE answer for you....I am from St. Louis originally and the Kinnikinik crusts are too thick and sweet for a really good pizza for me.

I found Chebe mixes to be AWESOME......better than when I was baking WITH gluten....... Just about any of the flavors work. I follow the directions on the back as far as mixing goes....then seperate the dough into 2 balls. Roll it out really, really thin on parchement paper and prebake until it is a slightly golden on top, flip it over and bake a fw more minutes, THEN add your toppings........

Seriously, this is the BEST crispy pizza crust ever.......I also use this to make crackers for myself. I cut it with a pizza cutter into bite size pcs and keep flipping and baking until they are brown, then let them cool and they are yummmmmmy crackers!!

I love love my pizza cutter wheelie thing it worls for everything :)

I am dying to get my hands on some chebe let me tell you

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

I am a laaaazy baker, so have never tried a crust yet...

but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amy's Cheese/Rice Crust pizza. Kinda pricey (about $7 at my Whole Foods), but it's my treat about once or twice a month. I add fresh basil and tomatoes, adn if you bake it directly on the rack, it is really light and crispy. I actually seriously prefer it to regular pizza.

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

Fiddle Faddle, I actually have all the ingredients for the recipe you mentioned so I will try that first.

My sister makes rolls from Chebe bread and loves it, but I don't think she ever did pizza crust with it. I haven't found that locally yet.

I think the local store had the Kinnikinnick crusts but I remember thinking how expensive it was.

I've tried the glutino ones and made my own out of a pizza crust mix I bought (can't remember which one) and didn't like either.

Thanks again - I can't wait to try these ideas.

Joni

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

I am a laaaazy baker, so have never tried a crust yet...

but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amy's Cheese/Rice Crust pizza. Kinda pricey (about $7 at my Whole Foods), but it's my treat about once or twice a month. I add fresh basil and tomatoes, adn if you bake it directly on the rack, it is really light and crispy. I actually seriously prefer it to regular pizza.

I've tried Amy's Gluten Free Rice Crust Pizza (crust is rice and sunflower seeds) a couple of times and it comes out crispy for me also.

I baked it on a cookie sheet, the first time it was a little soft but I tried it again and cooked it longer than the directions say until it crisped up and the cheese browned a little around the edges.

I also added a little extra cheese and all kinds of different toppings.

For a frozen pizza it is pretty delish, imo.

Also, the Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas tend to be crispy depending on how you prepare them. I've broiled them with topings, brushed them with olive oil and baked them until crisp, cut in wedges to make kind of a "chip".