Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenlove

Banana Flour

Has anyone seen commercial banana flour for sale? Yeah it sounds strange but back in the early 1900's Hawaii exported 240,000 tons of it! Now, no one here has ever heard of it. I've been debating about drying a bunch and milling it down.

thanks

Ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'd love to know more about it--I'm intolerant to coconut, and like to go easy on the grains.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I have find ground coconut for flavoring which is fairly commen here in Kona although it comes from the Philippines. Reading about the banana flour in old agricultural journals at the university surprised me though.

No one has heard of it here and most of the other researchers I work with dont waste time reading 100 year old journals <G>..

Now I jjust have to decide what mill to buy!

Never heard of it, but it sounds good! I'd be interested in trying some if I ever saw it or learned to make it.

I've wanted to try coconut flour too, but haven't found it anywhere around me.

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

All I could find were export records from the territory of Hawaii.

Would be worth drying bananas and milling them down into something useable.

Ken

I'd love to know more about it--I'm intolerant to coconut, and like to go easy on the grains.

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

Has anyone seen commercial banana flour for sale? Yeah it sounds strange but back in the early 1900's Hawaii exported 240,000 tons of it! Now, no one here has ever heard of it. I've been debating about drying a bunch and milling it down.

thanks

Ken

I did buy a small bag of banana flour at an international grocery supermarket just off the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia last year. I made a special trip there to buy Masa Harina flour. I never knew what to do with the banana flour.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the info. If your back there again and can get the company name that would be great.

Thanks again

Ken

I did buy a small bag of banana flour at an international grocery supermarket just off the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia last year. I made a special trip there to buy Masa Harina flour. I never knew what to do with the banana flour.

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

Thanks much Julie,

Really looks like my kind of place. Been years since I was in Philadelphia but it would be fun to get back someday.

Kind of hard to drive from hawaii though.<G>

I reaseach tropical fruit and the products made from them for the Univ. here so if I did get there I may not leave!

thanks again

Ken,

Here is where I shopped:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/print_fr...ly.php?id=12753

If you are in the area, it's worth stopping in.

Julie

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

I just saw plantain flour at an international market last night. Wouldn't this be similar to banana flour? I almost bought it, but don't have a clue how to use it. It was imported from Thailand, I think.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter