Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adare

gluten-free Godiva?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just did the online chat with Godiva to verify, and none of their products are gluten-free. Sorry.

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You have been connected to Jennifer .

Jennifer : Good afternoon! How may I help you today?

colleen: Are any of your candies gluten free? Do you have a list of gluten free products?

Jennifer : None of our products are gluten free.

colleen: thank you!

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

:o:( That's depressing. I never had Godiva very often, but always look forward to indulging around the holidays. What a bummer.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

This is Godiva's standard answer to any question containing the phrase "gluten-free." They will not give an affirmative answer to any question asking about "gluten-free" products. They buy ingredients from other companies, and they do not have absolute control over them. Because of this, they can not give a guarantee that anything they make is gluten-free, and their legal department will not allow them to answer the question in any other way. This is true of many other companies as well.

"Gluten-free" is a hot button which I personally choose not to push. When I contact a company, I never use that phrase. I tell them that I am sensitive to certain grains, emphasizing wheat and barley. Hidden rye is not something I have ever found. I deal with oats in round two.

I ask about the specific product and whether it has these ingredients. I mention that these can sometimes be hidden in flavors, starch, and other listed ingredients.

I avoid asking if the product is "safe" for me, or whether it is "gluten-free," since both of these set the company up for a liability suit if there is contamination. I just ask about the ingredients they intentionally use, and about what other products are produced on the same lines or in the same room.

I have carefully examined the ingredient list on Godiva products on a number of occasions, and have yet to find anything that could be hiding gluten. I have eaten these products without any problems, and I do react to even small amounts of gluten. I think that they are safe, but I won't climb out on a limb and then saw it off by declaring that they are "gluten-free."

My thoughts, yours may be different.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I was told that they use the same equipment for all products, and that some are released from the equipment with a flour-spray (like pam with flour) so it isn't an ingredient, but a process problem. I said "really???" and the guy said "yeah...sorry.."

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

Does anyone know if Godiva truffles are gluten-free? They are my favorite treat!

They was a disclaimer on the website saying that they may be contaminated with gluten.