Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newceliac

Accidental Glutening

I have been gluten free for about 6-7 weeks now. I had an accidental glutening about 5 days ago. I have a Wendy's gluten free list and I noticed that their salads were listed on there. Well, I got the Mandarin Chicken Salad with the Asian Sesame dressing that goes with it. About 2-3 hours after I ate it, I started cramping and feeling nauseous. I looked on the list again and realized it said "except the sesame dressing". I fetched the empty wrapper and of course, it listed wheat as an ingredient. I felt so STUPID!!!!!!!!!

How long does it take to get over an accidental gluten? I am so constipated (which was a large symptom prior to diagnosis), anxious and depressed feeling and joint and bone pain. Can that small amount cause all this and for that many days?

Also, even before the glutening, I was still having days where I felt like I had reverted back to pre-diagnosis. Does it take a while to feel better? I have days where I feel good, then all of a sudden I have several days in a row where I feel bad again. This is so depressing and frustrating. Also, for a few days following diagnosis and the start of gluten free, I was regular for once in forever. Then, all of a sudden the constipation returned. I don't know what to do. I took fiber (that was gluten free) and it doesn't do anything. I have been eating gluten free and really trying to be careful. It is discouraging because I just want to feel good all the time. How long will it take?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yea.. I accually have recently gotten hooked on the Southwest Taco Salad from Wendy's... It depends on your body how fast you recover. You havnt been gluten-free for very long, my best recomdation is drink alot fo water, it usually helps me to flush quicker... It also took me about a year to feel like myself again. So having those days were you feel like its not helping in the long run it is. It can take 2 month or 2 years, Just stay positive (i know its hard) Were here for you!

Join eNewsletter

The further you get into your healing the more quickly you can rebound from accidental glutening. I was diagnosed in May and for a few months I had issues with the gluten-free baked products, anything with maltodextrin in it and a few other things. I got accidental gluten through popcorn at a movie theater and felt awful for a few days! Now, more than 5 months into the gluten-free diet, I can tolerate some gluten-free baked goods, like some bread or cookies and I know I got something with gluten yesterday, which made me miserable last night, but today, I'm mostly back to normal (except for the dark circles under my eyes!) So hang in there, eat very simply like chicken, rice, fruits and veggies for a couple of months and then try adding other things back in. It does get better.

Denise

Join eNewsletter

The further you get into your healing the more quickly you can rebound from accidental glutening. I was diagnosed in May and for a few months I had issues with the gluten-free baked products, anything with maltodextrin in it and a few other things. I got accidental gluten through popcorn at a movie theater and felt awful for a few days! Now, more than 5 months into the gluten-free diet, I can tolerate some gluten-free baked goods, like some bread or cookies and I know I got something with gluten yesterday, which made me miserable last night, but today, I'm mostly back to normal (except for the dark circles under my eyes!) So hang in there, eat very simply like chicken, rice, fruits and veggies for a couple of months and then try adding other things back in. It does get better.

Denise

Join eNewsletter

Denise

This is my first post. I am new to all of this and while I don't like the answers I saw above (because I want things to be eaiser than what was stated), I am relieved to see I am "normal." I have had to travel a lot and started shortly after finding out about all of this. It was so depressing on the road that I almost just quit eating. When I did eat, I made errors too often. I started out the first few weeks feeling incredible and have felt horrible the past few weeks. Denise's recommendation about hanging in there and keeping things simple at first while slowly adding food items makes sense. I think I got too fancy too soon (like driving without a license). Thanks. I hope it does get better.

Steve

Join eNewsletter

Are you dairy free also? That can make a difference. Its very common to have a problem with dairy while your villi are healing since you are no longer making lactase to break down lactose since its at the top of your villi. Bonus is most people can go back to dairy products after awhile, some like me cannot. I hope your part of the former.

At first I felt wonderful going gluten free. Diarrhea stopped within a couple of days after having it for years all day long. Then Dairy caused problems. Now if I eat dairy it is very similar to gluten.

Join eNewsletter

Are you dairy free also? That can make a difference. Its very common to have a problem with dairy while your villi are healing since you are no longer making lactase to break down lactose since its at the top of your villi. Bonus is most people can go back to dairy products after awhile, some like me cannot. I hope your part of the former.

At first I felt wonderful going gluten free. Diarrhea stopped within a couple of days after having it for years all day long. Then Dairy caused problems. Now if I eat dairy it is very similar to gluten.

I am not dairy free. Reading your comment and that of others over the last few days (plus taking into account the Wendy's Frosty I had last night and the price I seem to have paid), it appears I need to reaccess. I think I took it for granted that dairy products were okay for me. The whole matter of having already given up so much gave me an incorrect sense of entitlement (so to speak). I bought some gluten free slim fast and noticed the last time I drank some (a few days back), I paid about a half an hour later. I appreciate your help. I am thinking out loud a bit here and realizing I need to tighen up.

Join eNewsletter

Well, dont feel bad, you aren't suffering alone, seems sometime late yesterday afternoon I got myself..... somehow......

Just coming out of the bathroom today and am looking for the culprit..... my best guess at this point is the ice cream sandwich hubby ate the night before, maybe picked up that elusive crumb somewhere?

Made myself some chicken soup and will be miserable for the next few days, just happy this time the brain fog isn't so bad as it has been

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Please don't think I am getting personal, but you intimate that a you were likely affected by a loved one's ice cream sandwich. I had not thought of that and recognize that my not be what you aaying here at all, but does kissing present a threat. For instance, does my wife's lipstick likely have gluten?

Are you aware of any tricks of the trade to deal with the feeling lousy stage--food, exercise, medicine, herbal teas, etc. How about Dramamine?

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter