Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ptkds

Egg Allergy?

I have been suspecting an egg allergy for a while. Yesterday morning, I made scrambled eggs for myself and my toddlers. I haven't eaten plain eggs for a while. We went to the store shortly after we ate, and I couldn't make it through the trip w/out going to the bathroom. I was so embarrassed because the cleaning guy showed up just after I did, and he let me go in. Well, I took a few minutes while he waited outside. I know he was wondering what was taking so long. :o

Well, all day yesterday, I had mild diarrhea. Starting around 3am this morning, I have had BAD D and gas. And I keep burping and is smells like a rotten egg or something.

Does this sound like an egg allergy? I have eggs in other cooked products like bread, muffins, etc and I dont' get D. But I can't seem to eat them alone. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds more like an intolerance to me. I'm the same way--I can not eat eggs plain, but do fine if there are one or two in a recipe.

I get nausea about 4 hours after--and I've had allergy skin-scratch testing, so I'm sure I'm not allergic.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Guest keegans_mommy

I have a delayed allergy to eggs, fairly high number on the test and when I eat eggs I get sick to my stomach, dizzy, out of sorts and fumble around a lot. It's rather weird and disconcerting but still there.

Join eNewsletter

Yes, it sounds like an intolerance to me. When I was younger I could eat eggs without problems. Then slowly, I developed more and more problems to them. First it was with eggs by themselves, then also with dishes with appreciable egg in them. Now I seem to react to every bit of egg.

The only time I had egg for 7 years was in baked products, and this was very occasional (like holidays). But Enterolab testing still showed me as reacting by creation of antibodies, even though I didn't notice a reaction in terms of symptoms.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

I have an egg allergy. I can't eat even a speck of egg. Become very ill. Throwing up and coming out the other end as well. The first time I eat an egg, it seems to take about 16 hours for me to get sick. But if I am fool enough to eat an egg again the day after, I will get sick about 30 minutes later. This happened to me before I confirmed the allergy. I became so sick though that I vowed never to eat another egg after the 2nd such incident. The first time I passed it off as food poisoning. Wrong!

Join eNewsletter

I have the same thing. I can't eat eggs straight but can eat things with some eggs in them, liked baked goods. I don't test positive to egg allergy. I get horrible stomach cramps and constipation that last for most of a day. Its more painful than gluten actually.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter