Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutenfreefamily

Recipe For Gluten Free Beer

I ran across this tonight and thought I would post it if anyone's interested. Way too much work for me :D but it might be better than the store bought variety.

Buckwheat Beer

Gluten Free Recipe

Feel free to play with the amount of hops, etc. or to add other gluten free ingredients such as molasses or malted millet, to get your desired taste.

Ingredients:

3 lbs. malted buckwheat (recipe follows)

1 cup corn sugar

1 ounce Saaz hops

2 ounces Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops

6 pounds rice syrup ***

1 package ale yeast (EDME)

Directions:

*** Some brands of rice extract contain gluten. *** Please read the label carefully before using.

Put crushed malted buckwheat into strainer bag, add to 1-1/2 gallons of water in brewpot. Keep buckwheat in brewpot, stirring, until water starts boiling. Remove buckwheat and add rice syrup, corn sugar and 1/2 ounce each of the Saaz and Hallertauer hops. Boil for 30 minutes and add 1/4 ounce each of the Saaz and Hallertauer hops. Boil for 15 minutes and add another 1/4 ounce of each type of hops. Boil for another 15 minutes to make a total boiling time of 1 hour, then let the remaining 1 ounce Hallertauer hops steep in the wort for 2 minutes. Strain into your fermenter and pitch yeast when cooled.

This "beer" will ferment for longer than most ales, for about 10 days. Add

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Join eNewsletter