Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MammaW

Looking For Birthday Cake Recipe...gluten And Rice Free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm assuming that eggs and chocolate are okay? I made a chocolate cake a few weeks ago using sorghum instead of rice flour and it turned out great. It's the recipe from this website. For the flour mix I make up 3 C Sorghum flour, 1 C Potato starch, 1/2 C Tapioca starch, then measure out from that.

Chocolate Cake

1-

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

thanks! Do you use that baking mix alot? I mean is it a good substitute for any flour in a recipe? And yes, eggs and chocolate ok so far....My littlest one just turned 1 yesterday and I hav a 2 1/2 year old that I am considering going gluten-free for as well. and i find looking for stuff like bread and just basics like that is a real pain. Especially for picky eaters! i will try the cake, thanks again!

I would try substituting normal gluten free recipes with sorghum or amaranth flour for the rice flour. Rice flour is not that good for you anyway. Both flours have a good taste, but sorghum will be a little lighter in texture.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I would try substituting normal gluten free recipes with sorghum or amaranth flour for the rice flour. Rice flour is not that good for you anyway. Both flours have a good taste, but sorghum will be a little lighter in texture.

Teff flour is also a good baking flour, the more different flours you put in a recipe, typically, the better it performs.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

thanks! Do you use that baking mix alot? I mean is it a good substitute for any flour in a recipe? And yes, eggs and chocolate ok so far....My littlest one just turned 1 yesterday and I hav a 2 1/2 year old that I am considering going gluten-free for as well. and i find looking for stuff like bread and just basics like that is a real pain. Especially for picky eaters! i will try the cake, thanks again!

I use sorghum flour sometimes for a change. It works well in things like chocolate cake and pancakes, but my kids aren't totally thrilled with it for cookies. I kind of like it because it has a kind of nutty taste that's different than rice. There's a recipe on here somewhere for sorghum bread. We all loved the taste, but it fell in the oven, as does every loaf of bread I've tried lately does.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13