Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aligray

Gluten Free/dairy Free Cheese

I went dairy free today! So, i need a cheese substitute. What do yall use?

We have a whole foods here, not a trader Joes.

Thank u!

-Ali :)

-Ali :)

1/07 Gluten free after being severely ill and fatigued for a straight year and GI issues since teenager.

2/07 Negative blood work but phenomenal results on gluten-free diet.

2/14/07 Found to be critically deficient in vitamin D.

10/27/07 Dairy free due to being sick last two months.

10/28/07 Son, 9 yrs old, began elimination diet due to tummy issues and behavior issues.

Also dx with Fibromyalgia but not 100% sure i have it anymore now that I am on gluten free diet. Could have been Celiac all along!

Gluten free is the way to be! I feel soooo much better!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hmmmm I went 2+ yrs w/ zero cheese. Eventually ya stop thinking about it.

Sooooo many dishes are better w/ cheese.

The substitutes, soy cheese, rice cheese, whatever, never looked appealing enough to me to try. AND! Some actually include casein! The nerve! Who'd want fake cheese if it still has the milk protein?? :huh:

BUT . .. A couple months ago I finally tested goat cheese, as I'd heard of many ppl w/ dairy problems being ok w/ non-cow cheeses and/or milk.

Now I LOVE my goat cheeses bought at WhF.

I get local ones, and I get great Feta, Mozzarella and Chevre here in Phx.

Mmmmmmm so good.

Do you think you can have goat cheese?

Otherwise, ihear of ppl making a subtitute at home, starting w/ raw cashews. They seem to like it much more than the store-bought alternatives.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

I sometimes make raw, vegan nut cheeses. I buy vegan rice cheese. I like the cheddar flavor. It's wonderful on pizza or nachos. There is an almond cheese that tastes good but I'm allergic to almonds. There are also soy based cheeses but daughter is allergic to soy so they are out. I also like Parma! A walnut based "parmesan" cheese. In pasta sauces and breads, I add nutritional yeast. Gives it a cheesy flavor. Daughter likes it on popcorn.

One thing you have to look for in faux cheeses and even nutritional yeast are milk derivatives. Some contain whey or casein. That's no good if you have a dairy allergy.

Join eNewsletter

I also like goat and sheep cheese. It doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.

Goat cheese worked for me, too. Tried it once just as an experiment. The best I could tell, there was no problem.

Join eNewsletter

I thought the cashew cheese substitute sounded very strange but got around to trying it a few weeks ago and put it on pizza. It really tastes good, and my husband likes it too. The consistency on the pizza is more like cream cheese. I haven't tried it yet as a spread on crackers and stuff but think it might be quite good. I am enjoying the pizza so much I keep making it.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

A solid cheese substitute - nope, never found one. There are one or two Gluten-free Casein-free cheeses that are eh... ok... after melting. But not great. Nothing that can be eaten like cheddar or mozerrella or more interesting cheeses. The vegan nut cheeses that you make yourself from raw nuts can work in creamy cheese situations, though.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

I thought the cashew cheese substitute sounded very strange but got around to trying it a few weeks ago and put it on pizza. It really tastes good, and my husband likes it too. The consistency on the pizza is more like cream cheese. I haven't tried it yet as a spread on crackers and stuff but think it might be quite good. I am enjoying the pizza so much I keep making it.

Try adding a few hot peppers. Makes a nice dip for tortilla chips or raw veggies.

Join eNewsletter

There is a vegan product called Chreese that is okay. I bought the Chreese Nacho Dip yesterday and it actually wasn't that bad, even my picky goat cheese eating husband thought it was pretty good. I eat the Mac & Chreese occassionally but I'm pregnant and real Mac & Cheese used to be my fav. meal soooooooooooo...... I like the alfredo style better than cheddar. I've seen these at WF by the boxed mac & cheese section. be careful to select the gluten-free ones though because they also make non gluten-free boxes.

there are also vegan cheese slices at whole foods. you'll find them by the tofu/cottage cheeses/butter (at least at mine you do). some of them have casein in them so you have to really read the label. the one i buy says casein free, soy free and something else. there are almond cheeses there that I really want to try but they either have soy or casein in them, can't remember off the top of my head.

I've made several at home cashew cheeses/dressings and i didn't really like them. but, i don't really like cashews so that's probably why.

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Join eNewsletter

There is a vegan product called Chreese that is okay. I bought the Chreese Nacho Dip yesterday and it actually wasn't that bad, even my picky goat cheese eating husband thought it was pretty good. I eat the Mac & Chreese occassionally but I'm pregnant and real Mac & Cheese used to be my fav. meal soooooooooooo...... I like the alfredo style better than cheddar. I've seen these at WF by the boxed mac & cheese section. be careful to select the gluten-free ones though because they also make non gluten-free boxes.

there are also vegan cheese slices at whole foods. you'll find them by the tofu/cottage cheeses/butter (at least at mine you do). some of them have casein in them so you have to really read the label. the one i buy says casein free, soy free and something else. there are almond cheeses there that I really want to try but they either have soy or casein in them, can't remember off the top of my head.

I've made several at home cashew cheeses/dressings and i didn't really like them. but, i don't really like cashews so that's probably why.

Amy

I love the Nacho Chreese. Can't say the same about the Chreese powder. Reminds me of mustard. But daughter likes it and so does the rest of my family. When I make the pasta with it, I add cubes of ham. It's always a hit. Just not for me.

For pasta, I prefer the Say Cheeze from Namaste. Husband can't eat it though because it has hemp in it. He's in the military and they do drug testing. The hemp shows up on the drug tests.

Join eNewsletter

hmm, I saw the Say Cheeze and didn't read the label because I figured it would have casein in it....I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the store. I can't believe hemp shows up in drug tests! that would be a bummer to find that out the hard way :lol:

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Join eNewsletter

hmm, I saw the Say Cheeze and didn't read the label because I figured it would have casein in it....I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the store. I can't believe hemp shows up in drug tests! that would be a bummer to find that out the hard way :lol:

Well, I'm not convinced that it does. I tried looking it up online and apparently hemp oil does show on drug tests. I couldn't find anything on the seeds. But husband is all freaked out about it and won't try it.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter