Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRUMI1968

Great Raw Food Resources

I found a great resource for interesting raw food recipes and ecologically minded stuff.

http://gliving.tv/

A lot of the recipes call for blenders and dryers and spiralizers -- but what I like about it is how interesting they are. They sound delicious!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found a great resource for interesting raw food recipes and ecologically minded stuff.

http://gliving.tv/

A lot of the recipes call for blenders and dryers and spiralizers -- but what I like about it is how interesting they are. They sound delicious!

Not all raw recipes are gluten-free. Some call for Nama Shoyu (raw soy sauce). You can usually sub in Celtic sea salt for that. I do. But some raw recipes also call for wheat berries.

A dehydrator is often used for raw recipes as well. I make a wonderful onion bread in mine. It has no grains in it. The bulk of it is chopped onions, but there's also flax seeds and sunflower seeds. I make it into sandwiches with Swiss nut cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Reminds me of real whole grain bread.

I had not heard of raw foods until recently and i am anxious to learn more about this lifestyle. I found that the website http://www.rawsummit2.com/. The site is hosting a Raw Summit where each evening beginning November 15th through December 1st you can log in and listen to interviews with raw food experts and best of all it is free!

Is anyone on this board raw? What benefits have you found to going raw? ;)

I'm only starting. I'm probably 60% raw right now, but shooting for 80-90% by the end of the month. I've ordered a vita-mix high speed blender for doing the more gourmet stuff (in part to convince my partner that eating raw can be decadent too -- it would do him some good), and a dehydrator. I've also ordered a spiralizer that turns veggies into "pasta". Granted, you don't need any of this stuff...

I'll keep you posted, since I'm just starting. But mentally and, dare I say it, spiritually or energetically, I feel I'm on the right path.

You can detox, from what I understand, and feel worse for a time being. But I think I've been doing that over the last month anyhow.

I've tried the raw vegan diet but can't get to 100% because of gastroparesis. I find I have to eat a lot easy to digest foods like rice and pasta. However, when my stomach is cooperating, I love raw foods. Raw vegetables are my favorites. I also like onion bread (gluten-free) made into sandwiches with Swiss nut cheese, lettuce and tomato.

I'm only starting. I'm probably 60% raw right now, but shooting for 80-90% by the end of the month. I've ordered a vita-mix high speed blender for doing the more gourmet stuff (in part to convince my partner that eating raw can be decadent too -- it would do him some good), and a dehydrator. I've also ordered a spiralizer that turns veggies into "pasta". Granted, you don't need any of this stuff...

I'll keep you posted, since I'm just starting. But mentally and, dare I say it, spiritually or energetically, I feel I'm on the right path.

You can detox, from what I understand, and feel worse for a time being. But I think I've been doing that over the last month anyhow.

Have you had a chance to try out your spiralizer? i looked it up online and they look really cool.. what sort of things have you made with it? B)

the spiralizer is still not here. I didn't go with the saladdco, or whatever it's called, because too many folks said it was shoddy. So I bought another kind...and it's not here yet. I mean I ordered a month ago! I keep forgetting to call them. Thanks for the reminder.

You can run zucchini through the mandolin into the thinnest slices, then cut them into strips like futtucini. This works really well, and you don't need a spiralizer. So far, the raw spaghetti has been my family's favorite. They also really like the corn tortillas (but I didn't, so much).

I'll post when I get the spiralizer.

the spiralizer is still not here. I didn't go with the saladdco, or whatever it's called, because too many folks said it was shoddy. So I bought another kind...and it's not here yet. I mean I ordered a month ago! I keep forgetting to call them. Thanks for the reminder.

You can run zucchini through the mandolin into the thinnest slices, then cut them into strips like futtucini. This works really well, and you don't need a spiralizer. So far, the raw spaghetti has been my family's favorite. They also really like the corn tortillas (but I didn't, so much).

I'll post when I get the spiralizer.

I just use a peeler for stuff like that. It doesn't produce the best looking results, but it's one more kitchen device I don't have to buy.

I started to try the Raw Foods diet but it was just too much work and too many ingredients for me.

Also I can't eat too many raw vegetables, they have to be steamed.

I always thought the reason the Raw Foods diet worked is because you are basically giving up grains, although there are a few recipes that use sprouted grains.

I do believe that it's good to include some raw foods in your diet though.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

Along with giving up grains and beans (and dairy/meat if you are going raw vegan), the eating of the foods raw leaves the enzymes in tact, instead of destroying them. Also:

water

fiber

vitamins

minerals

I've noticed right away the water content in food. I am so much more hydrated now than I was. Also, my digestion seems so much better.

Maybe when your digestion gets stronger, you can think about raw foods again, if you're interested.

Good luck.