Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joni63

Caffeine Free, Barley Free Coffee Substitute

Hi,

I need to get totally away from coffee caffeinated or decaffeinated. Something in it makes me tired.

Does anyone know of any other coffee substitutes that I can use right in my coffee pot. I found one, but it contained barley.

Thanks,

Joni

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What about an herbal tea? You can brew it much the same way. (A drip system may actual give you a weaker brew, so you could re-use the leaves/herbs a number of times.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I can't do coffee either. Tazo chai with a bit of hemp milk (or regular milk if you do dairy) and honey is a pretty good substitute :)

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Hi,

I need to get totally away from coffee caffeinated or decaffeinated. Something in it makes me tired.

Does anyone know of any other coffee substitutes that I can use right in my coffee pot. I found one, but it contained barley.

Thanks,

Joni

Are you referring to Teeccino? They claim to be gluten-free and even have a lab result. The lab said that boiling water isn't sufficient to get the gluten protein out of the barley. I've run across people still afraid to try the product, but no one who has reacted to it.

Here is the link:

http://www.teeccino.com/FAQs.aspx#gluten

Frankly, I would be more afraid of items that are never tested for cross-contamination and which might be processed in the same facilities or the same equipment as gluten items and you never know. Those warnings are voluntary.

I used to drink Teeccino periodically and never noticed problems. Recently I've just developed more of a taste for assorted teas.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Hi - just wanted to update. Teeccino has barley in it... I checked out their website.

Are you referring to Teeccino? They claim to be gluten-free and even have a lab result. The lab said that boiling water isn't sufficient to get the gluten protein out of the barley. I've run across people still afraid to try the product, but no one who has reacted to it.

Here is the link:

http://www.teeccino.com/FAQs.aspx#gluten

Frankly, I would be more afraid of items that are never tested for cross-contamination and which might be processed in the same facilities or the same equipment as gluten items and you never know. Those warnings are voluntary.

I used to drink Teeccino periodically and never noticed problems. Recently I've just developed more of a taste for assorted teas.