This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Pain

newceliac

newceliac Enthusiast

Did anyone have a problem with nausea and stomach pain after diagnosed with Celiac and going gluten free?

I have been gluten free for almost 2 months. I accidentally glutened myself about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it was miserable.....cramping, constipation (i get constipation), extreme anxiety and angry feeling, etc. It took about 1 week to feel better.

I felt better for a couple of days and WHAM, this morning I woke up feeling bad. I find it hard to believe I have been glutened again because I have been extra careful and have been watching everything I eat. I am very nauseous, a pain right across the middle of my stomach, and indigestion. I am also constipated.

Does anyone had to deal with the nausea and stomach pain after diagnosis?

I am getting extremely frustrated. I am trying so hard to eat right and do everything I am supposed to. It seems I have had a lot more bad days in the past couple of months that good days.

I also feel like that my husband gets tired of me talking about the pain during the bad days. At work, I have no support up there. Most people think because I look OK, then I must feel fine. They think I just need to cut out certain foods and I will be fine. The boss has had cancer and underwent chemo so she has the attitude that Celiac is not serious. If you don't have cancer, whatever illness anyone else has is trivial. I am not downplaying cancer because I have dealt firsthand with cancer as my mother and mother in law both had cancer.

It is depressing to be going to all this trouble to "eat right" and still not feel good!!!!! I just constantly worry that I may eat something that may make me feel bad.......and I am scared that I should be feeling better by now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FootballFanatic Contributor
Did anyone have a problem with nausea and stomach pain after diagnosed with Celiac and going gluten free?

I have been gluten free for almost 2 months. I accidentally glutened myself about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it was miserable.....cramping, constipation (i get constipation), extreme anxiety and angry feeling, etc. It took about 1 week to feel better.

I felt better for a couple of days and WHAM, this morning I woke up feeling bad. I find it hard to believe I have been glutened again because I have been extra careful and have been watching everything I eat. I am very nauseous, a pain right across the middle of my stomach, and indigestion. I am also constipated.

I am getting extremely frustrated. I am trying so hard to eat right and do everything I am supposed to. It seems I have had a lot more bad days in the past couple of months that good days.

I also feel like that my husband gets tired of me talking about the pain during the bad days. At work, I have no support up there. Most people think because I look OK, then I must feel fine. They think I just need to cut out certain foods and I will be fine. The boss has had cancer and underwent chemo so she has the attitude that Celiac is not serious. If you don't have cancer, whatever illness anyone else has is trivial. I am not downplaying cancer because I have dealt firsthand with cancer as my mother and mother in law both had cancer.

It is depressing to be going to all this trouble to "eat right" and still not feel good!!!!! I just constantly worry that I may eat something that may make me feel bad.......and I am scared that I should be feeling better by now.

Me too! I use zofran for nausea and take some pepto if the pain is really bad. You will have to talk with your doctor about getting zofran, but I would use pepto until you do, it should help with the pain, nausea, and indigestion. I also just try to drink a lot of water. I have the problem with constipation too. I drink smoothies with I feel bad. Bolthouse farms makes one called Blue Goodness that I like or you could buy some blueberries, bananas, apple juice, and blackberries if you like them. It's a bland mixture and the fruit should help with moving things along.

Hope you feel better, our symptoms are almost exactly alike so message me anytime. I'm only a month ahead of you, at 3 months gluten free.

ALSO, have you checked all the manufacturers of any medicines you take?

miles2go Contributor

Hi newceliac,

Sorry you're having such a hard time with no support. It can take up to a few years to get back to feeling better. You've found a safe place here...welcome! Everyone will give you the support and info that you need, but it's going to take some time and a kind of ridiculously steep learning curve, but after a while, it'll be like second nature. I still need to remind myself to take my reading glasses to the grocery store after two years worth. :D

Margaret

LilyCeliac Rookie

You are not alone in feeling this way. Everything you have said has been the exact same for me as well.

I was diagnosed 5 months ago and I am still not feeling better. Some days I notice a change and that I am feeling an improvement but then there are days where for no reason I feel awful again, even when I know I haven't been glutened.

I have had two set backs in the 5 months where I accidentally consumed gluten and the week after that I felt horrible!!

I think that the internal damage from those accidents are what has contributed to me still not feeling better.

Our stomachs have been damaged and I think it takes a long time to heal which means we wont be cured right away even if we are 100% gluten free.

All we can really do is stick to the diet the best we can and hope that in time our bodies will heal and our hard work in being gluten free will finally feel like it's paying off. I definitly know how frustrating this all can be. And it is even more frustrating that people can't see our pain! It's hidden. Our symtoms are something only we can feel which makes it hard for anyone to fully understand what we are going through.

My Doctor said it could take a good 6 months (more or less depending on the person) for a Celiac to start feeling better.

I hope this helps!

Joss Rookie
You are not alone in feeling this way. Everything you have said has been the exact same for me as well.

I was diagnosed 5 months ago and I am still not feeling better. Some days I notice a change and that I am feeling an improvement but then there are days where for no reason I feel awful again, even when I know I haven't been glutened.

The first thing I noticed is that I can now breath through my nose ( I am asthmatic) and no longer have to breath through my mouth. When I wake up in the morning I don't have a dry throat and no longer need to drink during the night.

The other thing is that my ears unblocked. Well that is until I did a gluten challenge and they blocked up again. :angry: Now I know that I can never, ever go back to just playing with eliminating gluten. I am getting very serious indeed.

blueshift Apprentice

You will keep making mistakes from time to time so get used to it.

There are stretches that I use to relieve symptoms. I get down on my back and put my legs into a semi-yoga position. In other words, one leg is bent so that the heel is near the butt like a usual yoga position while the other leg actually crosses over with the knee bent pointing skyward with the foot placed in front of the Yoga leg's shin. I stretch the same side arm as the yoga leg up and over my head with the elbow on top of the head. Tension should be felt along the one side and the back while the gut up front slowly relaxes. I do this without a pillow and my head is tilted backward. I hold this position for 20 minutes and will lean on my right side when I yoga the right leg. Then I switch to the left leg and left arm overhead. Sorry if that was too many words...

Also, try investing in a medicine ball that is about the size of a basketball. Wedge the medicine ball between one side right under the rib cage and the floor. Do this while lying down and rolling over onto the ball slightly.

Study plyometrics and learn to develope your core muscles and the flexors.

Archived