Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklen

False Serology Positive

Hi,

This is particulary for the USA guys, who seem to have alot more info on this.

I had a negative endoscopy but severely positive TtG and Iga serology. Are there any other conditions that could cause this blood result?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Mark

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

How do you know it was a false positive? Sometimes there are false negatives from biopsies -- they are read wrong, not enough samples are taken, samples not taken in a damaged area, or damage is ongoing but is not yet observable in the villi. People do have an adverse reaction to gluten before damage to the villi takes place or can be observed after all. It doesn't mean there isn't a problem with gluten.

Have you tried the diet yet? If so, is there a response?

I did run across this article, indicating that a Ttg result is present in inflammatory bowel disease, and so shouldn't be relied upon solely for celiac diagnosis:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/870/1/Anti-...ease/Page1.html

What specific IgA testing did you have? There are different kinds. You might look through all the articles on this web site about different tests and the specificity and sensitivity of each.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

This is particulary for the USA guys, who seem to have alot more info on this.

I had a negative endoscopy but severely positive TtG and Iga serology. Are there any other conditions that could cause this blood result?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Mark

The most likely explanation is that the blood results are correct and you haven't sustained enough damage for the doctor to have found it or they didn't do a good job of getting enough samples when they did the endoscopy. If your Ttg is very high and also the IGA, try the diet and see what dietary response you get. You will most likely see relief and you'll have your answer. If not, then you may have to look at other food intolerances or problems but it sure sounds like celiac disease to me. Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

The TTg is pretty specific. Either you are lucky and this was caught before severe villi damage was done or the more likely prospect is that your biopsies either did not hit the right spot in your 22 ft of small intestine or your doctor may not recognize the changes that occur before full villi destruction sets in. I would get on the diet asap.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

While false negatives are very common with the bloodwork as well as the biopsy, false positives are practically unheard of with celiac disease. It is very likely that your bloodwork is right, and you do have celiac disease.

Try the diet, and if you respond favourably, you'll have your answer. Many doctors will diagnose celiac disease if you have a combination of positive bloodwork plus relief from symptoms with the diet, even with a negative biopsy. Because a positive biopsy will rule celiac disease in, but a negative one can't rule it out, due to the 'hit and miss' nature of the procedure.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Hey Mark,

I had similar results. I got sick this summer. The regular intestinal stuff. Since my mother has celiac I knew what to look for, so after a week of not feeling better, i figured it wasn't just a virus and had my dr order the blood tests. I went off gluten right away, so it was possible I had minimal damage and may not have even built up a very high immune response as it can take a while depending on when the celiac actually started. All the blood tests were positive and my dr said no need for a biopsy. I probably should have had the biopsy done then. 3 or 4 months later I got another set of blood tests and a biopsy( the gi doc said it was possible they might see damage without a gluten challenge, but I don't think they listened to my whole story). Both were negative. The GI docs agreed it was probably celiac and that I just caught it early. Having the blood tests turn around like that after going gluten free is a pretty good indication in and of itself. My reg dr doesn't want me to make myself sick again just to get the positive biopsy. It's understandable that the GI docs want to get the positive biopsy because they want to be absolutely sure that you need a gluten free life since they consider it the end of the world. I have no plans to do the biopsy again since I'm feeling so much better now.

I've read a lot of the literature in medical journals and I have not found a lot of information that suggests anything else. My personal thoughts (and they should not influence anyone to make any medical decisions as I'm not an MD) are that GI docs rarely see someone who has caught celiac so early and therefore had a short immune response and also minimal intestinal damage. Most people I know or have talked to have either not been diagnosed or misdiagnosed for years. So by the time the GI doc sees them and evaluates them their intestines are a mess. It makes it easy for them to diagnose. As people become more aware of celiac it may require the GI docs to think a bit more and consider that people may present differently then they used to. hope that helps.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter