Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsalt19

Possible Bug In Forum Software

There seems to be a problem with the forum software. In an earlier post, I wrote:"the celiac disease version of a prominent medical textbook..." but the software insists on displaying it as "the celiac disease version of a prominent medical textbook..." I've tried to edit this several times with no success. Also, I kept loosing whole lines when I would just change a word or two.

HA! it did it again! Every time I type these two letters which describe a common object that stores digital information (the third and fourth letter in the alphabet) in caps, the software changes it to "celiac disease."

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, it does that. It will autocorrect the letters "c" and "d" without a space to "celiac disease". This does get kind of confusing if one is talking about a "compact disc" and not "celiac disease." :) It will also autocorrect the letters "G" and "F" without a space to gluten-free.

If you put a period betweed c and d it will work. (C.D)

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

I don't think it's a bug - it's suppose to do that so that you can use it as a short cut instead of typing celiac disease all the time. So instead of typing the known acronym (c next to d) when you are making a nonceliac disease reference, you probably need to type out "compact disc". . . unless someone knows of a way to bypass that feature. Also - it works for captials or lowercase letters.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

I coule be wrong, but I think it does that because so many people abbreviate "celiac disease" and if we just wrote c.d. all the time, threads and the board as a whole would be less findable via google....but that's just a guess.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

Hah. And here I've been writing out "celiac disease".

OK, let me try this celiac disease

..........why yes, it does, doesn't it.

I suppose the solution is to write out "compact disk" but we know that thing as the third and fourth letters of the alphabet, don't we?

Join eNewsletter

This is indeed deliberate. Abbreviations make posts harder to understand for people unfamiliar with terms, and confound search engines. So, these two common short forms are automatically expanded whenever they are used.

There are a number of other substitutions which take place. Certain words which may be offensive are changed. A common 4-letter word beginning with s is subbed with "poop." Certain names or urls are replaced with the string "lame advertisement."

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

A common 4-letter word beginning with s is subbed with "poop." Certain names or urls are replaced with the string "lame advertisement."

These 2 are the best of all! :lol:

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter