Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello! My husband has had celiac for a long time and recently was admitted to the hospital for severe anemia. He follows the diet strictly, but some gluten may have slipped in by cross-contamination. They did tests, including a pill that takes pictures of the small intestine. Last week he got the results and it showed something abnormal in the small intestine. It looked like white spots. The doctor sent him for a CAT scan to "rule out lymphoma". He just had the test and no results yet. I am worried sick! The doc didn't mention anything less scary that it might be and my husband didn't ask any questions Has anyone else gone through anything like this? We have gone to celiac support meetings, but no one ever has information about complications. It seems like everyone gives the impression that once you are on the diet everything will be fine. My husband doesn't have an appt until 11/14. Do you think the doctor will call before then if he thinks it's cancer? Anyone know anything about possible complications in the intestine? The only thing I found on the internet is that maybe it's an ulcer. Thanks in advance for any info you might have about possible intestine complications other than cancer.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello! My husband has had celiac for a long time and recently was admitted to the hospital for severe anemia. He follows the diet strictly, but some gluten may have slipped in by cross-contamination. They did tests, including a pill that takes pictures of the small intestine. Last week he got the results and it showed something abnormal in the small intestine. It looked like white spots. The doctor sent him for a CAT scan to "rule out lymphoma". He just had the test and no results yet. I am worried sick! The doc didn't mention anything less scary that it might be and my husband didn't ask any questions Has anyone else gone through anything like this? We have gone to celiac support meetings, but no one ever has information about complications. It seems like everyone gives the impression that once you are on the diet everything will be fine. My husband doesn't have an appt until 11/14. Do you think the doctor will call before then if he thinks it's cancer? Anyone know anything about possible complications in the intestine? The only thing I found on the internet is that maybe it's an ulcer. Thanks in advance for any info you might have about possible intestine complications other than cancer.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

Ihave had complications with my small intestine that I assume were the result of the celiac process. I have been having trouble for 20 years and have just been diagnosed 2 months ago. My original symtom was a duodenal sticture which they tried to open up with surgery twice and then resorted to endoscopies every 6 months to baloon it open. They also say I have white spots on my intestine that they call calsification and ask if i've been eating chicken bones (seriously). They haven't said I need treatment for this. I/m hoping the gluten-free diet will keep my stricture open and put an end to the endoscopies. It has already taken away the constant nausea and frequent vomitting.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter