Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EMMETT

Tolerances

I seem to handle some products better than others. Rye bread(rye flour only) doesn't bother me. On the other vhand, certain spices on meat really get my attention with a gurd reaction. Is this a trial and error process? how do othres cope with this. i try to stay gluten=free but am not always perfect. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and my problems with diet, gurd reactions,bloating etc have been significantly reduced.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you are still eating Rye you are not gluten free. That is one item that must be avoided. Most likely there is wheat in the spices so that could be the problem.

Susan

Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005

Gluten free June 2006

Join eNewsletter

Rye is a gluten flour. You should not eat this unless you just have a wheat intolerance. If you are gluten intolerant stay away from wheat, rye, barley and oats (unlesses certified gluten free), spelt, kamut, and triticale. Some spice mixes can have wheat in them. Also some chickens or turkeys are injected with fillers which could be wheat. Lunch meats can also have gluten. Try applegate farms meats. Your best bet is to get your meats at a natural food store.

Join eNewsletter

Guest Happynwgal2
I seem to handle some products better than others. Rye bread(rye flour only) doesn't bother me. On the other vhand, certain spices on meat really get my attention with a gurd reaction. Is this a trial and error process? how do othres cope with this. i try to stay gluten=free but am not always perfect. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and my problems with diet, gurd reactions,bloating etc have been significantly reduced.

Hi Emmett, You need to stop eating rye - it has gluten even though you think you are not reacting to it. Gluten for you- and the rest of us on this message board who are Celiacs or gluten intolerant - is poison. I know it is VERY difficult to give up the foods you love to eat, or the foods you think you can still get away with eating. I encourage you to stop eating rye, and then see how you feel after a few weeks.

Going completely gluten free is a huge challenge, especially when there seems to be no significant reaction to certain kinds of gluten. Like you, I ate only rye for a few months before I was finally diagnosed as a Celiac. My symptoms were less, but not gone. When I finally cut out rye, too, I started feeling much better. Perhaps the gluten in rye is different than the gluten in wheat - perhaps it is "milder" for lack of a better word; those more familiar with the gluten protein in grains can perhaps answer that better than I can. But even "mild" gluten is still gluten for you and me.

Good luck! And hang in there... There IS life after going completely gluten free... :P:)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter