Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offthegrid

Any Reason To Get Pimples When Going *off* Something?

Sorry to post two topics so quickly, but I just found you guys and have tons of questions.

I'm nearing the end of my 2nd week casein free, and feeling 1,000 times better. I wished I had known about the casein thing a long time ago -- not just eliminated lactose.

Anyway, when I initially went off gluten, my pimples cleared up 95 percent after years of breakouts. (I'm 28.) But now that I'm casein-free, they are popping up everywhere. I have about 8 right now when typically I'd have maybe one.

Anybody know what's going on with that? And no, it should not be hormonal right now.

- Susie

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sorry to post two topics so quickly, but I just found you guys and have tons of questions.

I'm nearing the end of my 2nd week casein free, and feeling 1,000 times better. I wished I had known about the casein thing a long time ago -- not just eliminated lactose.

Anyway, when I initially went off gluten, my pimples cleared up 95 percent after years of breakouts. (I'm 28.) But now that I'm casein-free, they are popping up everywhere. I have about 8 right now when typically I'd have maybe one.

Anybody know what's going on with that? And no, it should not be hormonal right now.

- Susie

I had the same thing happen...Cleared up when gluten free. I am 9th day casein free and have had quite a breakout. I was wondering the same thing. I am hoping it is just withdrawal of some sort and that it will clear up.

Join eNewsletter

I had a mild breakout, that then cleared up. I learned it can be a process of the body ridding itself of toxins.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

I answered this in the other thread, but I'll post again here for everyone's benefit. I believe you added more soy to your diet in response to eliminating dairy. That very likely is your answer right there.

Soy sensitivity can be subtle and can manifest itself in skin problems. I've seen this in a book I have about food allergies and have read of the experiences of others. Personally, I finally have clear skin at age 54 only since I eliminated soy earlier this year.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

I agree, it could be your body detoxing. Once I figured out soy was a big problem for me, my skin was already horrible. It did start to clear up dramatically after the first week eliminating soy. Then a week later, it was breaking out again. I figured it was just my body getting rid of the soy. My doctor told me that soy, or other foods you react to, can linger in your system for 4-6 months! Also, I had to remove casein too, because I realized my belly problems, and skin rashes started coming back. After keeping a food diary....sure enough, it was the rare times I had a tiny amount of casein!

My skin is MUCH better now! I still have a few tiny bumps, but it's because I accidentally took a Benedryl pill. I forgot to call about soy free, I knew it was gluten free! So, taking the benedryl gave me a BAD rash! (Yeah, I know, what's the point of putting allergens into allergy meds!??!?!)

Katie

Gluten free since July 2005

Lactose Free since 1994

Soy free since May 2007

Dairy free since September 2007

Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter