This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Is Coming!

Offthegrid

Offthegrid Explorer

Thanksgiving is coming!

It will be easy at my grandmother's house because my aunt, my brother and I all can't eat gluten and the family makes plenty of dishes we can eat and makes sure the turkey is safe.

However, at my other half's family, it will be a little different. This is our first Thanksgiving together, so I feel a little weird making demands of his sister, who will be cooking. Would it just be easier to take my own food, or do you think asking her to cook the stuffing separate instead of inside the turkey is OK? She's super nice, but I get the impression that they sometimes think I overexaggerate about this stuff, especially about stuffing inside the turkey affecting meat on the outside.

But isn't that weird to bring your own food to someone else's house?

I do plan to bake my own pumpkin pie(s) and take it to both houses. Might bake some cookies, too. Probably also will bring my own sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes because I'm the only one casein-free, and I know they'll be made with butter.

- Susie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

I have called ahead to both places I'm going this year. I won't be eating turkey, but one had prime rib and the other ham so that will be the meat i'm eating b/c I didn't want to ask to cook teh turkey different and both are large gatherings soo...

But I am bringing dishes to pass and my own pies!

Kathy'sUnicorns Apprentice

I'm bringing my own dressing. I've ordered some gluten free bread and will my dad use that to make me my own home made stuffing. I've been gluten free for about two weeks so this will be my first holiday gluten free. Both my family will have probably ham along with the turkey so that is fine and then my in-laws usually have prime rib. The one thing I am going to miss most is the greenbean cassarole and the hot rolls with butter :( I'm lucky that my family is very supportive especially my husband and daughter.

Another obstical is that we are going to our friends house this weekend for Guy Fox bonfire (guy tried to blow up parlement way back when in london) They always have home made sausage rolls which I love but won't be able to have this year. My husband is making me my own Shepherds pie and a veggie tray so that I can have stuff to eat.

Mary Frances Newbie

We have a huge family gathering and I always take enough that I know that my husband and I will get plenty to eat. In the past we've taken our own stuffing and gravy and usually a vegetable dish. This year, since are vegetarian now too, I'll take stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, baked tofu, and some other veggie dish. Some of it we will share with everyone, but I usually hide the stuffing and gravy in the kitchen so that it doesn't get contaminated with other serving utensils.

mythreesuns Contributor

My brother is hosting this year (thank God because I don't think I could pull it off with the fibro) and all I asked was that the stuffing isn't cooked in the turkey.

Other than that, I told his wife not to worry about me, although she's so sweet and last time we had a dinner there she made all kinds of stuff I could have!

I'm going to try to make a couple of pies for myself (and everyone else.....maybe) because I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE pumpkin pie!

Yellow Rose Explorer

My son is hosting his first time and I just informed them I would be bringing my own food. I don't ask anymore but tell people that I will bring my own. I let them know it is way to much trouble for them to try and not cc me. I make it sound like I am doing them a big favor to not have to worry about trying to cook for just me as I am the only one that has gluten problems. It has worked so far for me and we have been invited back to others homes. Have a happy Thanksgiving!!

Yellow Rose

loco-ladi Contributor

Well, since all my family lives about 2000 miles away I will be working and will pass on the stuff the boss's provide, its been known to make the hardiest guy ill so....... I will do my usual.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sugarmag Newbie

Ok, now I have a question! Is it really that bad to eat the turkey, if stuffing was inside? I don't eat any of the meat that would touch the stuffing. This will be my 3rd Thanksgiving gluten-free, and I know last year I felt a bit icky, but I think it's from eating too much, not gluten. My mom makes sure that there's always something for me, and that the veggies and another side is safe for me. I'm wondering if I should ask her to cook the stuffing on the side now. Seems like that's what everyone else is doing.

confusedks Enthusiast

I have a question too. Okay, I have a HUGE family. The stuffing is made in the turkey and because I am the ONLY gluten-free person, I wouldn't feel right asking mu Uncle Fred to make it differently since it is his famous recipe. So, do I just bring food with me? I don't think there will be anything I can eat other than fruit! Ugh...sometimes I hate this!

Kassandra

Sugarmag Newbie
I have a question too. Okay, I have a HUGE family. The stuffing is made in the turkey and because I am the ONLY gluten-free person, I wouldn't feel right asking mu Uncle Fred to make it differently since it is his famous recipe. So, do I just bring food with me? I don't think there will be anything I can eat other than fruit! Ugh...sometimes I hate this!

Kassandra

Ughhh, I hear ya! I'm the only gluten-free one too, (and soy and casein free now too). I just hate to ask my mom about this, but I think she might understand. She's really good about cooking gluten-free, cf, soy free meals for me. She always reads the label, and when in doubt, she calls me or the manufacturer. I just feel like I'm such a pain in the butt!! The problem is, I can hear my dad now..."ARE YOU SERIOUS?? You'll be FINE! It's not touching what you are eating." Ack! Oh man, now I just realized this will be hard for making her side dishes and potatoes without dairy! Maybe I should just make my own food????

Guest j_mommy

If you are going truly gluten-free you CAN"T eat turkey that has had the stuffing in it! THe juice run through the turkey into the stuffing and out!!! It's a bummer

One option is having a turkey breat made seperate for you!

cmom Contributor
We have a huge family gathering and I always take enough that I know that my husband and I will get plenty to eat. In the past we've taken our own stuffing and gravy and usually a vegetable dish. This year, since are vegetarian now too, I'll take stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, baked tofu, and some other veggie dish. Some of it we will share with everyone, but I usually hide the stuffing and gravy in the kitchen so that it doesn't get contaminated with other serving utensils.

What do you substitute for the french fried onions in your green bean casserole? I tried using "Funyons" and they disintegrated!! THanks. <_<

debmidge Rising Star
If you are going truly gluten-free you CAN"T eat turkey that has had the stuffing in it! THe juice run through the turkey into the stuffing and out!!! It's a bummer

I also want to add to this that when gluteny stuffing is in bird, the drippings get glutened from the bread and the procedure for basting makes sure that all the gluten in the drippings gets deposited on the bird.

If bird has gluten bread as stuffing then the meat will have actual contamination. It's an "all or nothing" proposition.

JennyC Enthusiast
What do you substitute for the french fried onions in your green bean casserole? I tried using "Funyons" and they disintegrated!! THanks. <_<

I was thinking about this as I read this thread. I think I will try frying some onions. Maybe I will experiment using a thin batter on them, but they could be better without. Hmm. This requires experimentation.

In regard to Thanksgiving in general, we will be going to my grandmother's house. She originally said she wanted to stuff the turkey, and I was a little hurt because she's usually so great about my son's diet. He's the only one gluten free, but I really wanted him to eat hot food on Thanksgiving. It turns out that she is fine with me stuffing the turkey with gluten free stuffing and she will make regular stuffing in the oven. I will also bring other side dishes that my son most likely won't eat. :P I will most likely also make a pumpkin pie and a chocolate mousse pie.

Sugarmag Newbie

Thank you for suggestion! I think having a separate turkey breast is a good idea. That's usually what my mom does for me at other holidays anyways, as I can't digest red meat; so if she makes that I get my own turkey/chicken breast then. If she doesn't want to do gluten-free stuffing, or no stuffing in the turkey, I think this will be my best option.

I also want to add to this that when gluteny stuffing is in bird, the drippings get glutened from the bread and the procedure for basting makes sure that all the gluten in the drippings gets deposited on the bird.

If bird has gluten bread as stuffing then the meat will have actual contamination. It's an "all or nothing" proposition.

Wow, excellent point! That part didn't even cross my mind! Thank you!!

I'm going to call my mom today and try to get this all figured out! Thanks for everyone's responses. B)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Ughhh, I hear ya! I'm the only gluten-free one too, (and soy and casein free now too). I just hate to ask my mom about this, but I think she might understand. She's really good about cooking gluten-free, cf, soy free meals for me. She always reads the label, and when in doubt, she calls me or the manufacturer. I just feel like I'm such a pain in the butt!! The problem is, I can hear my dad now..."ARE YOU SERIOUS?? You'll be FINE! It's not touching what you are eating." Ack! Oh man, now I just realized this will be hard for making her side dishes and potatoes without dairy! Maybe I should just make my own food????

Honestly, I would just tell my Dad he was being a jerk and to butt out, but I'm a little more oustpoken than most.......... And my Dad would never have said anything like that anyway.

Why don't you have her separate out a bit of each side dish before the dairy's added? You know, a scoop of potato before she adds the butter?

Don't let your Dad make you feel like a pain in the butt! He should be more concerned about your health than his convenience!

Sugarmag Newbie
Honestly, I would just tell my Dad he was being a jerk and to butt out, but I'm a little more oustpoken than most.......... And my Dad would never have said anything like that anyway.

Why don't you have her separate out a bit of each side dish before the dairy's added? You know, a scoop of potato before she adds the butter?

Don't let your Dad make you feel like a pain in the butt! He should be more concerned about your health than his convenience!

Oh, I don't have any problem telling my dad what's on my mind! I just figured he'd say something about it. (I think sometimes I just hate having to ask for things to be different, but I know that my family does care....I still just hate going through it around holiday's and all that.) Good thinking on separating the side dishes, and getting my serving out before things are added. I actually just talked to my mom, and we're gonna get it all figured out! At first she was even like..."but you only eat white meat, nothing that touches the stuffing." Then I told her about the gluten-y drippings coming out, and contaminating the juices to make the gravy with. She did a "OMG!!! I never ever would have thought about that!" (just like me! haha!) So, at least I don't have to worry about it anymore. We're just not sure if we're going to attempt to make gluten-free stuffing, or cook theirs on the side.

Thanks again!!

lonewolf Collaborator
Thanksgiving is coming!

It will be easy at my grandmother's house because my aunt, my brother and I all can't eat gluten and the family makes plenty of dishes we can eat and makes sure the turkey is safe.

However, at my other half's family, it will be a little different. This is our first Thanksgiving together, so I feel a little weird making demands of his sister, who will be cooking.

But isn't that weird to bring your own food to someone else's house?

I've taken my own food to other people's houses countless times. Are you going to your grandmother's house first? If so, make up a plate of leftovers that you can take to your in-laws'. Or you could bake a little cornish game hen and bring your own potatoes or sweet potatoes or whatever. The getting together is the most important thing.

My opinion, and experience, has taught me that if I don't make too big a deal of it and don't make demands on other people, the meal will go smoothly and most people will try to be understanding and helpful. My hubby's family felt sorry for me 12 years ago, but didn't do a thing to make it easier for me. I brought my own food plus my share for my family for several years. I never made it an issue. All of the sudden they started realizing how hard it was for me and asking what they could make that I could eat too. Now they try really hard and my mother in law even thickens gravy with cornstarch. And they'll be honest and tell me if something accidentally gets mixed with gluten. The nicest thing is that they ask me to bring things like cakes and cookies along with salads and appetizers now - almost all of them have discovered that my cooking and baking is good, even without gluten. But the whole process took a lot of time.

sparkles Contributor

After accidentally getting glutened at family gatherings, I decided to just bring my own Thanksgiving dinner. I roasted a turkey breast, made stuffing, corn pudding put it in a plastic container and while everyone else was gathering their food, I put mine on a plate covered it and heated it in the microwave. I enjoyed my meal.... ate some salad that I had brought to share. I also bought myself a gluten-free pecan pie and brought a slice to have when everyone else was having their pie. The best thing was I had leftovers that I could enjoy and share with my husband at home. I just explained to the hostess that with so many people coming, it would just be easier to bring my own dinner and then nobody would have to worry about gluten-free foods! I didn't give her the opportunity to even offer a gluten-free meal. I was happy and most important, I was not sick!!!!! If the hostess tries to make you feel like you will be offending her because you don't trust her gluten-free cooking, stick to your guns about bringing your own food.... thank her and offer to bring a dish to share. I have found that it is a lot easier than getting sick!

sparkles Contributor
I have called ahead to both places I'm going this year. I won't be eating turkey, but one had prime rib and the other ham so that will be the meat i'm eating b/c I didn't want to ask to cook teh turkey different and both are large gatherings soo...

But I am bringing dishes to pass and my own pies!

Be careful of the prime rib. If it is one that is purchased with rub already on it, it very well could have a flour base!... Also some ham is not gluten free.... I know that it sounds like they should both be gluten-free, but better check out the brands and make your decision based on that. Also most AuJus has wheat in it.

Mom23boys Contributor

This year I am crushing EnerG pretzels. In the past I have tried gluten-free bread and another time potato chips. I chop onions and hide in with the beans (gotta get it past the kids) so you get the flavor. IMO the saltier tasting things work better.

Aligray Apprentice

I chose a dish and my mom chose a dish to make that is gluten-free to bring with us. I am also thinking of making a pumpkin pie to bring as well. Honestly, I'm fine with this. I have ALWAYS eating my self into oblivion on Thanksgiving so it will be nice this year to just have a couple of good dishes and pie :)

Susan-in-NC Rookie

There was a question early in this thread regarding the turkey meat and being OK, because it doesn't touch the stuffing inside the bird. I for one will not be stuffing anymore, or do two birds and using seperate basters on them. I mentioned basting very purposefully!

I believe that the basting we do to acheive the lovely golden brown skin on our birds may cause the meat to be cc'd. If I was to take the juices released during cooking and baste the bird with that, it will contain gluten from a stuffed bird. Which in turn would cc the whole bird.

In the past I have made 2 birds just to provide enough dark meat and extra white for sandwiches later in the day. So, this year one will be stuffed with apples. onions and celery. I've made and frozen some stock to use for extra basting juice, but now need to purchase a seperate (different color bulb) baster for the gluten-free bird.

Anyone have a great Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe? I think I can do a ginger cookie crust (from gluten-free cookies) and modify a recipe I have on hand, but if someone has a tried and true recipe, I'd love to have it. For regular Pumpkin Pie too. This will be my 1st gluten-free Thanksgiving. Will be cooking for a group so need tasty things. I plan to do most things gluten-free and just go with it. Did a Birthday for son and served gluten-free and reg. food to offer to family members who have said they didn't know "how" to make gluten-free foods. (long story, and SAD ver SAD!) <_<

Susan

debmidge Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

sells gluten free bread cubes for use as stuffing

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Anyone have a great Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe? I think I can do a ginger cookie crust (from gluten-free cookies) and modify a recipe I have on hand, but if someone has a tried and true recipe, I'd love to have it. For regular Pumpkin Pie too. This will be my 1st gluten-free Thanksgiving. Will be cooking for a group so need tasty things. I plan to do most things gluten-free and just go with it. Did a Birthday for son and served gluten-free and reg. food to offer to family members who have said they didn't know "how" to make gluten-free foods. (long story, and SAD ver SAD!) <_<

Susan

I'll be doing the ginger cookie crust too! My boyfriend thought that wold be the best crust for pumpkin pie, doesn't that sound good? We already tried the Mi-del ginger snaps, they're very good.

Archived