Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ridgewalker

Made Spanish Rice Last Night

So, generally I've always thought the Spanish Rice mixes you can get in the store were yucky- and most of them aren't gluten-free anyways. So last night I made some, and it turned out sooo good.

This made a LOT, so either you can fix it and have lots of great leftovers, or adjust the amounts down.

I put 5 cups of chicken broth into a big pot and started it heating. (I used homemade broth I had in the freezer, but you can use whatever kind you normally use.)

I added 1 can of corn-drained, and one can of black beans-drained.

Then I added about a pack and a half of mild taco seasoning. We don't like things too hot, and this was just right for us.

Once the mixture came to a boil, I just added 5 cups minute rice, turned off the heat, plopped the lid on, and let it sit. It was done in about 5 minutes, but stayed hot for a good hour.

I think it took even less time than using a mix, and it was sooo much better! Even Luke ate it. Ezra just picked out the corn and beans, and ate those. Oh well, better than nothing!

PS- leftovers would be good in stuffed baked peppers!

PPS- I ate mine with cheddar and sour cream top, which was excellent if you can do dairy.

PPPS- I also fixed chicken in the crockpot with salsa and chicken broth, which we had on tortillas. The whole dinner was as easy as it gets, and was as good as a restaurant.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Julie, yup I bet that would work perfectly. Hmm, I think I'll try that next time. Might be a good way to get all my guys to eat brown rice! (Generally they won't touch it <_< )

Betty, the chicken was super easy. I put about 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot. Then added 1 jar of mild salsa. Then I added about 1 cup of chicken broth, but that wasn't enough, it dried out a bit and I almost scorched it! I ended up adding about another 2 cups of broth. I cooked it on low all day.

A couple hours before dinner, I took two forks and shredded the chicken. I didn't even take it out of the crockpot to do this. It'll shred really easily because it cooked all day.

I think it dried out on me because I have a really big crockpot, and with this amount of chicken and sauce, the crockpot had way too much empty space. So if you have a smaller crockpot, you may not have to add as much broth. But better too much broth than not enough- you can always just use a slotted spoon to serve it, if it's a little runny!

-Sarah

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

Join eNewsletter

thanks sarah, that sounds good and yummy and so easy!...I have a bottle of Newmans Own salsa in the house. I'm always looking for new ideas with chicken.

I love my crockpot, made a sweet and sour pork roast sunday that was yum-o :D

enjoy your week!

~Betty

Join eNewsletter

Sarah,

Your rice sounds great. We do the same thing with the chicken, except we do 2 jars of Trader Joe's salsa. It is literally my favorite meal!

Kassandra

P.S. Trader Joe's has a Spanish rice mix that is really good...and gluten-free.

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

Kassandra,

I wish we had a Trader Joe's! Everyone is always talking about the great stuff they get there, and good prices. We don't have a Trader Joe's in the whole state! :(

-Sarah

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter