This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Made Corn Tortillas!

buffettbride

buffettbride Enthusiast

My birthday was last Wednesday and I had asked for a tortilla press because I bought a big bag of masa flour and wanted to try my hand at homemade corn tortillas. Well, I got the press and finally had a chance to make them today.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! There is not an easier thing on the planet to do than make homemade corn tortillas!!!!

I don't have the tortilla griddle thing (it is on my Christmas list though!), just did them in a frying pan on med-high heat with no oil and they cooked up just fine.

I fried them up a bit afterward and we had tostadas!!

I am soooo crazy about this and it is a GREAT way to save money and the whole family loved them to boot! The masa flour was about $3 for a 5lb bag (which will last for a long, long while). Just add some water and salt and you're good to go. A tortilla press is about $20 and absolutely works like a charm!

I figure it will double as a cookie press as well!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ridgewalker Contributor

Awesome! I'm going to check those out.

confusedks Enthusiast

We have one too! It is amazing! I even made a lot of dough and froze it in little balls, so on a weeknight it is easy to take them out and use the press and then heat them up. We also have a pan (can't remember the name) and we love it! It is great for heating up gluten-free brown rice tortillas.

Kassandra

bookbabie Apprentice

Wow, I might need to make them. I was going to Champps with my husband every Saturday to watch sports and eat their homemade corn chips. My health began sliding and I finally asked whether they used a dedicated fryer for the chips (I didn't want to know in a way, I loved them so much!) and of course they didn't, and did not seem interested in doing so. So that ended our Saturday routine but my health did improve once I quit poisoning myself, duh! Anyway, since we miss the homemade taste so much maybe we should try making our own, I always thought it would be too much trouble :P

Joni63 Collaborator

I'm so glad you posted about this. My mom bought me a bag of masa flour a couple weeks ago. I had planned on just using a rolling pin to make some tortillas for the first few times but never got around to it yet.

Glad they turned out well for you!

buffettbride Enthusiast

Definitely spring for the press. It makes things sooo easy and yummy! I want to get a new fryer now so I can make our own chips!

sickchick Community Regular

MMM Congrats on the "score"! Homemade corn masa tortillas are so YUMMY!!! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

sounds great, congrats!

I have the flour but cannot find a large press, they are all 6 inches, what size press did you get?

thanks!

buffettbride Enthusiast
sounds great, congrats!

I have the flour but cannot find a large press, they are all 6 inches, what size press did you get?

thanks!

Mine is 6" as well.

Joni63 Collaborator

Well, I tried them tonight without the press. It was a little tricky, but they tasted very good. I made a huge batch of chili and wanted to make corn muffins but didn't have any corn meal. So I remembered the masa flour and decided to make corn tortillas to have with the chili. I ended up layering tortillas, cheese, then chili on top. It came out very well! The kids are using the tortillas as scoops in their bowls of chili...messy but fun for them. ;)

I think a press is definately needed. Some ended up thicker than others. Also they didn't seem to fold over as nicely as the store bought ones. Is that normal? I tried to wrap up some chili inside of one and it was very difficult to try and get it to stay folded in half.

Thanks!

momandgirls Enthusiast

Sounds fun and yummy...what brand of tortilla press do you have? Where did you get it?

Archived