Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buffettbride

gluten-free Pantry Brand Pie Crust

I picked some gluten-free Pantry brand pie crust mix up today so I can practice for Thanksgiving. I never made pie crust before, gluten-free or not so I'm hoping anyone who has used this mix can share your experiences or any tips and tricks for this particular crust.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The directions tell you to make the whole box..and I think it makes 4 pie shells or two tops and bottoms for pies. too much for me....and there's no instructions on how to only make half...well I use only half and freeze the left over dough. If you decide to use only half of it, don't be generous with the water as that's what will get you into trouble.

Also, I found that the dough it makes does not roll out with a rolling pin....I have to pound it with my fist/hand and stretch it outwards into a small circle, then place the small circle into the pie pan and stretch it out with my hands to cover the sides and "flute" the top edge.

My non gluten-free pie eaters cannot tell it's gluten-free pie crust. Some when told, actually prefer it over the gluten pie crust.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

I use this mix frequently :)

I just follow the directions--except that I usually end up having to add a little more water. I roll it out between plastic wrap on a moistened countertop. I have no trouble at all rolling it out with a rolling pin. When you place the dough into the pie plate, keep the plastic wrap on as you ease it in. (this prevents tearing, as this is a more delicate dough) When it's where you want it, slowly peel the plastic away.

I freeze any leftover dough in the freezer, tightly wrapped. It's just as good when defrosted.

We think it's as good or better than "regular". It's somewhat more flakey, though, so be careful when cutting. This is more noticible on a 2-crust pie.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I use this mix frequently :)

I just follow the directions--except that I usually end up having to add a little more water. I roll it out between plastic wrap on a moistened countertop. I have no trouble at all rolling it out with a rolling pin. When you place the dough into the pie plate, keep the plastic wrap on as you ease it in. (this prevents tearing, as this is a more delicate dough) When it's where you want it, slowly peel the plastic away.

I freeze any leftover dough in the freezer, tightly wrapped. It's just as good when defrosted.

We think it's as good or better than "regular". It's somewhat more flakey, though, so be careful when cutting. This is more noticible on a 2-crust pie.

Good tip, thanks. I haven't reached the 'real' pie crust stage, I'm still doing cobblers and cookie crusts... I'm too good at messing stuff up.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter