Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to the food co-op yesterday and was looking for a gluten free lipstick. The sales clerk who helped me with this showed me a lipstick which on the ingredients listed wheat germ oil. I questioned this and she said " don't worry, the sales person said they have taken out the gluten from the wheat protein and so it is safe." Can anyone tell me if this is possible? After getting so sick last week I really don't want to go there again! Thanks , sistergoldenhair

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten is a protein, and wheat germ oil (or any oil) should not contain protein. So, the clerk was correct. However, a lot of people here won't use products with wheat germ oli, becasue they feel it's a risk that just isn't worth taking. I personally will use shampoo and conditioner that contain wheat germ oil, but I don't think I would put it on my lips.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

When I was still using shampoo and soap with wheat germ oil, I reacted to it. Since I've been using Dove shampoo and conditioner instead of my former shampoo that contains wheat germ oil, the unbearable itching on my scalp has stopped. Believe me, sometimes I thought I'd go out of my mind, that's how bad it was.

Also, some people here were having glutened reactions to vitamins with vitamin E that was made from wheat germ oil.

They also claim in Europe that wheat starch is perfectly safe because it contains no gluten. But many people with gluten intolerance/celiac disease get really sick from that.

I guess you will have to decide if you want to take the risk or not. Personally, I won't.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

I went to the food co-op yesterday and was looking for a gluten free lipstick. The sales clerk who helped me with this showed me a lipstick which on the ingredients listed wheat germ oil. I questioned this and she said " don't worry, the sales person said they have taken out the gluten from the wheat protein and so it is safe." Can anyone tell me if this is possible? After getting so sick last week I really don't want to go there again! Thanks , sistergoldenhair

There are many truly gluten free options for cosmetics. My husband was diagnosed last summer, and just recently I made the commitment to go gluten-free for cosmetics, too. Found out I had some gluten in my concealer, and you know how that can stick around in your fingerprint for the better part of a day! I am just starting up a blog to help others figure out what I am researching, but just to start you off you can look up Monave', which is an online cosmetic company. All of their stuff is gluten-free except the concealer, I believe. Very nice people there. Also Afterglow is known to be gluten-free, and is online as well (have to search for "afterglow cosmetics" or you get listings of some movie and a few other things!!). I have no idea about "they took the gluten out of the wheat protein" stuff. Just pick a good gluten-free company and you'll be fine.

Erika

Erika Krull, founder of Gluten Free Diet Guide, provides information about gluten free food, personal care products, recipes, and more.

Join eNewsletter

There are many truly gluten free options for cosmetics. My husband was diagnosed last summer, and just recently I made the commitment to go gluten-free for cosmetics, too. Found out I had some gluten in my concealer, and you know how that can stick around in your fingerprint for the better part of a day! I am just starting up a blog to help others figure out what I am researching, but just to start you off you can look up Monave', which is an online cosmetic company. All of their stuff is gluten-free except the concealer, I believe. Very nice people there. Also Afterglow is known to be gluten-free, and is online as well (have to search for "afterglow cosmetics" or you get listings of some movie and a few other things!!). I have no idea about "they took the gluten out of the wheat protein" stuff. Just pick a good gluten-free company and you'll be fine.

Erika

I have found a few other companies that seem to know what they are doing. Let me know if you need any more info. Good luck!

erika

Erika Krull, founder of Gluten Free Diet Guide, provides information about gluten free food, personal care products, recipes, and more.

Join eNewsletter

I have found a few other companies that seem to know what they are doing. Let me know if you need any more info. Good luck!

erika

Hi erika, thanks for the info, I sure could use more on the other companies you know about. How about Loreal, any luck with them, that's my favorite and i couldn't seem to find out online from them and no phone# on their packaging. I was told the company called lavera is supposed to be gluten free. I know they sell their cosmetics at the Wegmans that i shop at. Very expensive but worth it in a long run. I found it amazing how much lipstick i was ingesting by drinking my coffee everyday, i couldn't figure out why my stomach still hurt and i would break out with the dh. Let me know, thanks, sister golden hair :D

Join eNewsletter

How about Loreal, any luck with them, that's my favorite and i couldn't seem to find out online from them and no phone# on their packaging.

I wear L'Oreal's Enless Platinum lipcolor, and it IS gluten-free, according to the note I received from the company. But I don't know about anything else. :)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

Not long ago I did a search on here for Loreal and came up with a phone#. Fortunately it was still valid and they were helpful. I'd post a link to the post but I don't remember which one it was. Sorry. :(

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter