Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Amazing Black Forest Chocolate Cake

so i used Ursa's recipe for a black forest chocolate cake, link below, and it turned out wonderfully! was worried as i had a few setbacks-the first cake did not cook through, and collapsed on my kitchen counter while cooling. i just used the outside pieces, which were cooked, and used those to create the middle layer of the cake. i also made quite a mess when i knocked over the blender full of almond meal. thankfully i had some extra almonds in the freezer! also, i didn't use rum extract in my recipe b/c when i went to the store to get ingredients, they only had one brand of extract. i called the company, but they were closed. it was mccormicks...anyone know for future reference whether they use gluten-free caramel color?

i adapted the recipe a bit by using a different recipe for the chocolate cake. that's listed below as well. and instead of cutting off half of the cake, i made cupcakes. those by themselves were delicious!

here's the recipe:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry347305

here's the chocolate cake recipe:

http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_de.../#chocolatecake (so good even on it's own!).

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

couldn't figure out how to post the pic, so you can find it on my blog.

Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Join eNewsletter

Oh Wow! What a wonderful birthday cake. You did a great job....and a belated happy birthday wish to you!

Thanks!

McCormick's is a GREAT company that has a policy of clearly listing any gluten ingredients, so it wouldn't be hidden in caramel coloring, natural flavoring,----all that stuff. If its not on there, its not in there :)

Ok I wasn't sure. I just usually don't go there if I see the words caramel color, since most companies aren't so helpful. But good to know for future reference!

Sweetfudge

Join eNewsletter

Yay for making the Black Forest cake! I checked out your pictures in your blog, and it looks great. Happy belated birthday!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Yay for making the Black Forest cake! I checked out your pictures in your blog, and it looks great. Happy belated birthday!

thanks! it was a great recipe! i've been eating the extra cupcakes all weekend :D

Sweetfudge

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter