This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Use Flax Seed

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

so i keep hearing how great flax seed is, and i recently bought a container of it. what recipes do i use it in? i talked to the guy who raises the crop i bought, and he advised against using it ground, unless i grind it myself and use it right away (to reduce vitamin/mineral loss), so i might go out and get a small coffee grinder. any good ways to use it ground up? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Apple flax muffins are good. There's a recipe on the back of Bob's ground flax that's easy to make gluten-free :)

Guest j_mommy

I've been told you can add it to various things in a trial and error type deal. My son's uncle says that toasting it helps to bring out the "goodness" of it!

I use it in banana muffins: You just need to ground your's up really fine.

Banana Muffins

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Apple flax muffins are good. There's a recipe on the back of Bob's ground flax that's easy to make gluten-free :)

-Speaking of which, all the Bob's red mill recipes are available on the webpage, you don't have to buy the flour or look creepy at the store writing it down.

Mango04 Enthusiast
-Speaking of which, all the Bob's red mill recipes are available on the webpage, you don't have to buy the flour or look creepy at the store writing it down.

I can't find it on the webpage and I don't have a bag of flax at the moment. I think you have to do the creepy thing LOL

Guest j_mommy

www.bobsredmill.com

I looked on teh website and there's no apple flax muffin recipe listed!

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I grind my flax seeds in my blender on the highest speed, about 1/4 cup at a time, until they resemble coarse corn meal. Then I use them liberally in my homemade bread and muffins. I even substitued 1 cup of ground flax seeds for 1 cup of the rice flour in my pumpkin muffins and they turned out fine. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

:D lol :D

I can't find it on the webpage and I don't have a bag of flax at the moment. I think you have to do the creepy thing LOL

:D lol again! :D

Juliet Newbie

I add ground flaxseed (toasted and untoasted) to nearly EVERYTHING.

Toasted flaxseed with yogurt for breakfast

bread (flatbread and yeast bread)

waffles

pancakes (even my pumpkin pancakes)

every type of muffin I make (untoasted flaxseed actually helps keep them moist longer because of the high oil content)

quick breads

cream of rice cereal (toasted or untoasted)

cornbread

grits

brownies (for the kids - brownies for adults are almost flourless dark chocolate cake instead :) )

cookies

I think we all have at least one item everyday that has flaxseed in it. I was thinking of even making my own corn tortillas with some flax in it. It adds moisture and a slightly nutty flavor, kind of like wheat germ. This flavor is enhanced quite a bit when toasted, but the fiber content also goes up when toasted, too. And if fine enough, except for something like angel food cake, you don't really notice added texture when it's untoasted.

And since flaxseeds are so small with hard casings, you may want to get a fine grinder or even a dedicated coffee mill used only for grinding grains & seeds. A food processor, or even sometimes a blender, might not work well enough.

Green12 Enthusiast

I used to use ground flax as an egg replacer in baked goods.

1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

I used to use ground flax as an egg replacer in baked goods.

1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

hm, i've never heard of this. i will have to try it :D

bbuster Explorer
I add ground flaxseed (toasted and untoasted) to nearly EVERYTHING.

Toasted flaxseed with yogurt for breakfast

bread (flatbread and yeast bread)

waffles

pancakes (even my pumpkin pancakes)

every type of muffin I make (untoasted flaxseed actually helps keep them moist longer because of the high oil content)

quick breads

cookies

Ditto to the above. Although I just buy the pre-milled stuff.

I like it with yogurt, and I just throw in a couple of heaping spoonfuls to almost everything I bake. My son has Celiac, I don't, but last year my doctor said I should take fish oil capsuls for Omega-3. I did for about a month until I noticed my flax seed box - it has more Omega-3 in a spoonful than did the supplements!

sickchick Community Regular

I buy it ground and I put it in EVERYTHING!!! :D

I love it stirred in yogurt too!

have fun!

sickchick

disneyfan Apprentice

I read all the benefits of flax seed and bought some too. I started researching about flax seed and kept finding articles relating to thyroid levels. I called my dr because I was concerned about the warnings that it can lower your thyroid function and cause hypothyroidism. He said DO NOT use flax seed if you have any thyroid problems at all.

I was disappointed after reading all the excellent health benefits but was thankful I found the information.

For anyone with thyroid issues, please stay away from flax seed.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I read where it is safe for people with thyroid issues to use ground flax seed as long as it is cooked ( like in baking your bread and muffins ). This is suppose to destroy the stuff in the flax seeds that could impair thyroid function.

However, it is the RAW ground flax seed that should be avoided by people with hypothyroidism.

Also, flax seed used in moderation is supposed to be o.k. :)

Archived