Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

How To Use Flax Seed

so i keep hearing how great flax seed is, and i recently bought a container of it. what recipes do i use it in? i talked to the guy who raises the crop i bought, and he advised against using it ground, unless i grind it myself and use it right away (to reduce vitamin/mineral loss), so i might go out and get a small coffee grinder. any good ways to use it ground up? thanks!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

I've been told you can add it to various things in a trial and error type deal. My son's uncle says that toasting it helps to bring out the "goodness" of it!

I use it in banana muffins: You just need to ground your's up really fine.

Banana Muffins

Join eNewsletter

Apple flax muffins are good. There's a recipe on the back of Bob's ground flax that's easy to make gluten-free :)

-Speaking of which, all the Bob's red mill recipes are available on the webpage, you don't have to buy the flour or look creepy at the store writing it down.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

-Speaking of which, all the Bob's red mill recipes are available on the webpage, you don't have to buy the flour or look creepy at the store writing it down.

I can't find it on the webpage and I don't have a bag of flax at the moment. I think you have to do the creepy thing LOL

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

I grind my flax seeds in my blender on the highest speed, about 1/4 cup at a time, until they resemble coarse corn meal. Then I use them liberally in my homemade bread and muffins. I even substitued 1 cup of ground flax seeds for 1 cup of the rice flour in my pumpkin muffins and they turned out fine. :)

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Join eNewsletter

:D lol :D

I can't find it on the webpage and I don't have a bag of flax at the moment. I think you have to do the creepy thing LOL

:D lol again! :D

Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Join eNewsletter

I add ground flaxseed (toasted and untoasted) to nearly EVERYTHING.

Toasted flaxseed with yogurt for breakfast

bread (flatbread and yeast bread)

waffles

pancakes (even my pumpkin pancakes)

every type of muffin I make (untoasted flaxseed actually helps keep them moist longer because of the high oil content)

quick breads

cream of rice cereal (toasted or untoasted)

cornbread

grits

brownies (for the kids - brownies for adults are almost flourless dark chocolate cake instead :) )

cookies

I think we all have at least one item everyday that has flaxseed in it. I was thinking of even making my own corn tortillas with some flax in it. It adds moisture and a slightly nutty flavor, kind of like wheat germ. This flavor is enhanced quite a bit when toasted, but the fiber content also goes up when toasted, too. And if fine enough, except for something like angel food cake, you don't really notice added texture when it's untoasted.

And since flaxseeds are so small with hard casings, you may want to get a fine grinder or even a dedicated coffee mill used only for grinding grains & seeds. A food processor, or even sometimes a blender, might not work well enough.

Join eNewsletter

I used to use ground flax as an egg replacer in baked goods.

1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg

hm, i've never heard of this. i will have to try it :D

Sweetfudge

Join eNewsletter

I add ground flaxseed (toasted and untoasted) to nearly EVERYTHING.

Toasted flaxseed with yogurt for breakfast

bread (flatbread and yeast bread)

waffles

pancakes (even my pumpkin pancakes)

every type of muffin I make (untoasted flaxseed actually helps keep them moist longer because of the high oil content)

quick breads

cookies

Ditto to the above. Although I just buy the pre-milled stuff.

I like it with yogurt, and I just throw in a couple of heaping spoonfuls to almost everything I bake. My son has Celiac, I don't, but last year my doctor said I should take fish oil capsuls for Omega-3. I did for about a month until I noticed my flax seed box - it has more Omega-3 in a spoonful than did the supplements!

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Join eNewsletter

I buy it ground and I put it in EVERYTHING!!! :D

I love it stirred in yogurt too!

have fun!

sickchick

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

I read all the benefits of flax seed and bought some too. I started researching about flax seed and kept finding articles relating to thyroid levels. I called my dr because I was concerned about the warnings that it can lower your thyroid function and cause hypothyroidism. He said DO NOT use flax seed if you have any thyroid problems at all.

I was disappointed after reading all the excellent health benefits but was thankful I found the information.

For anyone with thyroid issues, please stay away from flax seed.

Join eNewsletter

I read where it is safe for people with thyroid issues to use ground flax seed as long as it is cooked ( like in baking your bread and muffins ). This is suppose to destroy the stuff in the flax seeds that could impair thyroid function.

However, it is the RAW ground flax seed that should be avoided by people with hypothyroidism.

Also, flax seed used in moderation is supposed to be o.k. :)

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter