Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustMe75

New Food Reactions

Ok, I have been trying gluten-free for about 3 weeks and the first 2 weeks were great! I was skeptical about it working but not only did my stomach problems go away but my headaches did too! That was a huge bonus! Well about 4 days ago I accidently ate something with gluten in it (twice in one day) and my headache has been back ever since. I was thinking it was because it will take a while to get out of my system but I was feeling a little better today but I just ate some Dora the Explorer cereal with milk and I have terrible cramps. This feels different then my old stomache problems did, so I was wondering can I develope new food intolerances after going gluten-free? The first 2 weeks I was living on yogurt and string cheese without any problem. Also, I noticed that when I did eat the gluten it was real bad real fast does your body get more sensitive to gluten when it has been free of it for a while? I guess I should try eliminating dairy too but I am having a terrible time figuring our what to eat, if I have to remove dairy too I might starve to death! I have lost 4 pounds since I started and I wasn't trying to.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Problems with milk, specifically lactose intolerance, are very common in newly diagnosed celiacs. The enzyme (lactase) that digests milk sugar (lactose) is secreted by the villi in the small intestine--the very tissue that the autoimmune reaction in celiac disease targets. Most new celiacs find it necessary to avoid lactose for at least three months to allow the villi to recover to the point that they are again able to produce lactase. In some celiacs, the issue is casein intolerance. This has nothing to do with the damage to the villi, and is usually permanent.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter