Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Going To A Gi Doc And Have Some Questions

my regular doc diagnosed me as having a gluten intolerance. i am now going to a GI doc to talk and i imagine have some tests done. my appointment isnt for another week. what should i expect?

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

my regular doc diagnosed me as having a gluten intolerance. i am now going to a GI doc to talk and i imagine have some tests done. my appointment isnt for another week. what should i expect?

The GI will want to do a endoscopic exam to see if your villi are destroyed yet. Be aware that not all GI doctors are as knowledgeable about celiac as we would like. You will need to get on the diet as soon as you are done with any testing YOU decide you need. There are many instances of false negatives on the biopsy so even if the GI says you are fine you still need to get on the diet. Whether you choose to have more testing done is entirely up to you. If you have a positive on a blood test you have been diagnosed and for many of us that is enough. Do not get on the diet if you plan on being scoped but if you decide you don't want the expense and the risks with the chance of a false negative that come with the scope then dietary response is also a very valid form of diagnosis. You don't need your doctors permission to stop poisoning yourself.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I was diagnosed with DH first, then i went to a GI doctor AFTER being on the diet for 2 1/2 months..my blood tests were negative, but my GI doctor said that just the positive results with the diet alone was good enough for him to say i have some kind of gluten intollerence or sensitivity, since my GI problems had disappeared almost immediatly with the diet and my rash almost went away or was way better than the last year. He didn't feel any further testing was needed unless my GI problems came back. So far so good on the diet, the DH appears every now and then, but i'm trying to watch my diet really good. Goodluck and like the Above poster said..don't start the diet before testing. Lori

Join eNewsletter

ok so my appointment next week i think is just a 'meeting.' i've been pretty good and somewhat (i think) on the diet for about 3 weeks now. how long should i start eating before the testing done?

also if i have a gluten tolerance, would that mean that i have celiac's disease?

also can you explain what celiacs can do long term if left untreated?

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter