Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gabby

Celiac Mentioned On Oprah

Hi,

On today's episode of Oprah with Dr. Oz, he mentioned that one woman in the audience was getting healthier on his eating/exercise program, AND after he discovered she had celiac disease. Now, he did say that it was a wheat allergy (which we all know isn't so), but he did state how serious the problem is.

So I see it as progress!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:o I just saw it! and he actually said - "you have a GLUTEN ALLERGY."

I"m both ecstatic and furious at the same time.......................it got a MENTION on Oprah, but it was incorrect, and not ENOUGH was said about it!!!!!!!!!!!! His entire "diagnosis" and surmisal to this woman was about......8 seconds long?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

We have to ALL write Oprah brief notes mentioning that it is NOT an allergy, but the world's most common autoimmune disorder!!

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

I saw it and I think he said a GLUTEN INTOLERANCE. He also said it something like It was tearing her insides apart. I thought he made it sound really serious.

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

Join eNewsletter

I saw it and I think he said a GLUTEN INTOLERANCE. He also said it something like It was tearing her insides apart. I thought he made it sound really serious.

Nope, I am 100% sure he said gluten ALLERGY......because I instantly was just furious.....he is at Columbia University for Pete's sake, with Dr. Peter Green....and he DID say allergy....

Although, there is ALWAYS the possibility I had a brief out-of-body experience or something and could be mistaken.........

:lol:

He DID make it sound serious......but it was mere seconds that he spoke of it.

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

Hey, I can actually answer this, LOL. I never watch Oprah, but I taped it because of the cleaners that were supposed to be featured. I was just watching it and he did say gluten allergy. He kept saying inflammation, but never mentioned that it was an autoimmune disorder.

I really wish they had gone into more detail with the lady that had Fibro. I'm curious what she did. I have mine pretty much under control, but it took a while to find what works for me so I really wonder what she did!

Join eNewsletter

yep he said allergy, i was upset it was so short, yes he did make it sound serious but i think he needed to talk about it a little more, he talked longer about the thyroid(im sure cause oprah has that problem).

I guess I am happy they at least said celiac, i just wish he would have had his facts straight.

Has anyone wrote him anything, i was thining about it.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

Oprah was contacted numerous times to do a show on Celiac Disease by the different foundations and denied them all. I was surprised when I saw it on today.

Now, I wonder why she rejected them all. :angry: I mean, ok obviously she can't do a show on every disease out there, and she can't do a show on every topic she's requested.

But with Celiac being the most common autoimmune disease, and with it being so highly undiagnosed/misdiagnosed- you'd think that'd be right up her alley. I read somewhere that for every person dx'd with Celiac, there are another 75 who are undiagnosed.

That is nuts.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

Now, I wonder why she rejected them all. :angry: I mean, ok obviously she can't do a show on every disease out there, and she can't do a show on every topic she's requested.

But with Celiac being the most common autoimmune disease, and with it being so highly undiagnosed/misdiagnosed- you'd think that'd be right up her alley. I read somewhere that for every person dx'd with Celiac, there are another 75 who are undiagnosed.

That is nuts.

Oprah was recently diagnosed with a low thyroid and the first thing I thought was whether her doctor did a thyroid antibody test along with the others to see if the cause was autoimmune. Someone ought to tip her off because Oprah may even have Celiac and that could explain her ongoing weight problem. Maybe she doesn't want to do a Celiac oriented show because it might hit too close to home.

It's amazing how deep denial can go when you have to change the way you eat. It also shows you that even a celebrity's doctor friend with a fancy resume isn't always right!

Join eNewsletter

Someone ought to tip her off because Oprah may even have Celiac and that could explain her ongoing weight problem.

I need education on the Celiac and weight connection.

I have always eaten way healthier than most people I come across with yet I pack extra weight. Drs always think I'm lying when they tell me to lay off the burgers, fries and sodas and I tell them "I don't indulge in these foods". They also tell me I don't drink enough water. They even told me that when I was drinking 100 oz a day.

Can you point me to the info?

TIA

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

You were right, he did say allergy. This is the exerpt from the show..pasted from website:

Part of it was external stress. But we also uncovered something that was inside of you," Dr. Oz tells Wendy. "You have celiac disease

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

Join eNewsletter

I need education on the Celiac and weight connection.

I have always eaten way healthier than most people I come across with yet I pack extra weight. Drs always think I'm lying when they tell me to lay off the burgers, fries and sodas and I tell them "I don't indulge in these foods". They also tell me I don't drink enough water. They even told me that when I was drinking 100 oz a day.

Can you point me to the info?

TIA

I can't give you direct references but there are many Celiacs who are overweight. One theory is that for some, when you are not absorbing fats properly and other nutrients, your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto weight.

For others, like myself, I lost weight and was underweight for most of my life....until diagnosis and healing occured.

I have gained about 15 pounds in 2 1/2 years, which brings me up to my normal weight. However, I now have to watch my calories like many other people but it's mostly because I have a low thyroid also and am post menopausal. Most people just don't grasp how much less food you can eat, as you get into your 40's, to maintain your proper weight. The metabolism slows down and it doesn't take much for it to show.

There have been many folks who actually lose weight when they go gluten-free and others gain what they should have. I think it all just depends on your body type and how it functions. All I know is that it gets harder to stay slim the older I get!

Join eNewsletter

BTW, did anyone notice the look on Oprah's face when he was talking about it? It was as if she had never heard of such a thing :huh: . My husband & I were laughing about it because I knew that she (or the show) had been contacted by members of this board (not a that's funny laugh - more of a that's unbelievable laugh). I really like Oprah - I'm not reaming her - just thought that was weird. I swear - she looked like he was talking about aliens. Maybe she never really saw the emails, but the staff did. I don't know - I didn't read all of the Oprah thread, so I don't know if she was actually contacted.

Anyway, the look on her face was really weird.

I DVR'd the show, because I like to keep all the Dr. Oz stuff when he's on. Although, I was a little put off by the fact that he said allergy too.

k

Join eNewsletter

I didn't see the show, but do you think he chose to do that for maybe the same reason some of us say "allergy" to servers at restaurants and even sometimes to friends?

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

I didn't see the show, but do you think he chose to do that for maybe the same reason some of us say "allergy" to servers at restaurants and even sometimes to friends?

That does make sense and it did occur to me when I watched it. It's probably not something he wanted to go into great length about. I wasn't bent out of shape about it - just kind of raised eyebrow, but I did think he could have said allergy / intolerance maybe. I have another show where he mentions an allergy to wheat too, but that wasn't a direct ref. to Celiac.

It was the look on Oprah's face that really killed me.

Join eNewsletter

What is interesting about this whole thing is that they tested her for Celiac--among all the other testing. As we all know, it won't show up on just any blood test or imaging.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

What is interesting about this whole thing is that they tested her for Celiac--among all the other testing. As we all know, it won't show up on just any blood test or imaging.

In one of his books "You on a Diet", he recommends that you do a version of an elimination diet before you begin eating that way. He's very clear about checking for problems with food. Maybe she did some version of an elimination diet and found out that she was reacting to wheat ... possibly at that point, they may have gone into further testing to confirm Celiac or allergy. Just a guess.

Join eNewsletter

In one of his books "You on a Diet", he recommends that you do a version of an elimination diet before you begin eating that way. He's very clear about checking for problems with food. Maybe she did some version of an elimination diet and found out that she was reacting to wheat ... possibly at that point, they may have gone into further testing to confirm Celiac or allergy. Just a guess.

True--I would love to know the whole story....

I plan to email the show today, but I won't hold my breath.

Patti

Join eNewsletter

True--I would love to know the whole story....

I plan to email the show today, but I won't hold my breath.

Patti,

I could burn the show to DVD if you'd like. It would probably disappoint you though. It's really a tiny blurb on the Oprah show. He mentions it for like 20 seconds at most. But, at least he mentioned it ! He didn't mention that in his show that aired on Discovery though.

Join eNewsletter

Patti,

I could burn the show to DVD if you'd like. It would probably disappoint you though. It's really a tiny blurb on the Oprah show. He mentions it for like 20 seconds at most. But, at least he mentioned it ! He didn't mention that in his show that aired on Discovery though.

Kat--thanks :)

I wrote them to see if they could expand on the Celiac topic. I thought that now that Dr. Oz mentioned it on the show, they might reconsider doing a show or even a segment on the subject.

Patti

Join eNewsletter

Kat--thanks :)

I wrote them to see if they could expand on the Celiac topic. I thought that now that Dr. Oz mentioned it on the show, they might reconsider doing a show or even a segment on the subject.

That would be so great ... maybe the show will take it seriously now that it's been mentioned. Imagine how many people are out there and just have no idea.

The fact is that Dr. Oz's book (bought it after I saw him on Oprah) probably saved my life by planting a seed about food intolerances.

Oh, And, Ugggh. There I go again ... I'm forever misinterpereting posts. I should just put a disclaimer in my sig that says "chronic foot in mouth disease with a complete inability to understand even the simplest statements".

Join eNewsletter

Oh, And, Ugggh. There I go again ... I'm forever misinterpereting posts. I should just put a disclaimer in my sig that says "chronic foot in mouth disease with a complete inability to understand even the simplest statements".

I can see how you could have taken what I said that way--no worries at all--I thought you were very sweet :D

Patti

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter