This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Exhaustion After Being Recently Diagnosed

burnsey

burnsey Newbie

I was diagnosed in September of this year with Celiac. This was biospy-confirmed. I have been strictly gluten-free for about six weeks now. My only symptoms before being diagnosed were constipation, abdominal pain, and severe bloating. After being gluten-free, I still experience the occasional abdominal pain and bloating and now I am experiencing severe fatigue and exhaustion. I am sleeping 10-11 hours per night, napping frequently and having to miss work. I have had lots of blood work done which have all come back great. No thyroid issues, not anemic, no mono, etc. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms after being recently diagnosed and gluten free? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Have you been tested for adrenal fatigue and B12 deficency(pernicious anemia)?

You may want to take a powdered or liquid multi-vitamin supplement. It helps me tremendously. It will take time to get the full benefit if your villi are damaged and not able to fully absob it. As your villi heal and you can absorb more nutrients you will feel better.

It took me quite a long while to get my energy back. Time to really get ALL the gluten and CC out and under control affected this as well. At one year, Im feeling pretty normal but have to be careful not to overextend myself. The fatigue can be frustrating but minimizing stress and getting lots of rest can be healing.

Hang in there.

aikiducky Apprentice

You having biopsy confirmed celiac mean your intestines were damaged enough to show on the biopsy. It takes energy to heal all that damage, and now that your body finally has a chance to do it it is telling you to get enough rest to have a chance to heal.

It's also a good idea to take a vitamin supplement I think. Especially the B vitamins will help with energy. Also, make what you eat count, don't eat too much gluten free junk food or cookies and cakes.

Pauliina

FootballFanatic Contributor

Oversleeping can also be an issue, and how is your sugar and caffeine intake? Some people abuse these to get energy but it really wears your body down more than it helps you. So if you are using a lot of caffiene and sugar, rethink that one. See if maybe you're sleeping too much by trying to take it down a few notches to 9 hours a night, then 8 hours a night, those are more healthy numbers.

Hope you find some energy soon!

Centa Newbie
I was diagnosed in September of this year with Celiac. This was biospy-confirmed. I have been strictly gluten-free for about six weeks now. My only symptoms before being diagnosed were constipation, abdominal pain, and severe bloating. After being gluten-free, I still experience the occasional abdominal pain and bloating and now I am experiencing severe fatigue and exhaustion. I am sleeping 10-11 hours per night, napping frequently and having to miss work. I have had lots of blood work done which have all come back great. No thyroid issues, not anemic, no mono, etc. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms after being recently diagnosed and gluten free? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi burnsey...there's a thread in "Coping" in which people are comparing symptoms, if you haven't found it yet. Might be worth a look.

I had your severe fatigue and exhaustion symptoms, to a T, before I quit eating gluten. It took quite a while before my sleep improved in quality, maybe a month or a month and a half before I could notice that I woke up more rested. Depending on how bad off your GI tract was before you went gluten free, it'll be awhile before it's back to absorbing more nutrients from the food you eat

I agree with everything everybody's posted. I really can't do without a multivitamin and those Bs in it...If I start to skip it, a day or 2 later I'm dragging

Archived