Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol the Dabbler

Best Labs For Celiac Blood Tests

I phoned three Celiac Centers recently (late October / early November 2007), asking their recommendations for the best labs to run celiac blood tests. Here's what they said:

The University of Chicago used to recommend Prometheus, Specialty, and Mayo (and some pages of their web site still list those three), but they now recommend Prometheus, Quest, and Mayo. The woman I spoke with at Chicago said she did not know the reason for the change.

Columbia University recommends only Prometheus right now. The woman I spoke with at Columbia said that they also send specimens to Quest, and think that they are a good lab, but Quest does not currently report all alleles, so some people could get false negatives. Quest and Columbia are working together to resolve this issue.

The University of Maryland recommends Quest and Lab Corp. The woman I spoke with at Maryland said they think Prometheus is also a good lab, but they have had some insurance issues with them.

Many hard-to-define health problems, some since childhood.

Diagnosed with spastic colon circa 1984.

My father also had many hard-to-define health problems, as did his brother.

His brother's daughter biopsy-diagnosed as celiac, June 2007.

My Prometheus Celiac Plus blood panel results (late November 2007) were **very** negative

---- except for one DQ8 gene.

Awaiting results of EnteroLab stool tests.

Meanwhile, have been gluten-free since 4 December 2007, and starting to feel better!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for posting this.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter