Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

How Do They Test?

do they do a simple blood test or do they do a colonoscopy? i am going to the doc next week and would like to know how they are going to 'test' me for celiacs.

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have an app't with a regular family doctor or GI---at your first appointment, they will probably do an exam, ask you questions, and potentially order bloodwork for Celiac.

The full Celiac blood panel includes:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Depending on the doctor and your symptoms, the GI might suggest an endoscopy and/or colonoscopy to be performed at a later date. An endoscopy is used to diagnose Celiac via a biopsy of your small intestine. A colonoscopy does NOT test for Celiac; however, they may be looking to rule in/rule out other conditions.

Join eNewsletter

ok, thanks....what is an endoscopy?

and btw - i am going to a GI

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

thanks so much.

i really hope i dont have an endoscopy!!!!! i do not want something in my throat like that?!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter