Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Esther Sparhawk

gluten-free School Lunch Ideas

I'm both a mom of a kid with celiac disease, and I am also on staff at a school lunchroom. So I see what kids like to eat and what's served at school. These are some of the gluten-free things I like to send in my daughter's lunchbox:

• deviled eggs w/ gluten-free mayo (they store nicely in a sushi box)
  • gluten-free lunchables (seal one baggie with rice crackers and Glutino crackers; seal another baggie with Hormel's canadian bacon--it says gluten-free right on the label-- and cut up different kinds of cheese; you can even include a plastic knife and a little container of cream cheese for spreading)
  • Yoplait yogurt with gluten-free granola or a gluten-free Envirokids rice crisp bar
  • mom's home-made gluten-free trail mix
  • holiday cut-out sandwiches (make a sandwich on your favorite gluten-free bread and use a cookie cutter to cut the sandwich into a fun holiday shape)
  • gluten-free cottage cheese with chopped up pears mixed in the cottage cheese (use the disposable tupperware, if you don't want to lose your good stuff)
  • Kozy Shack pudding
  • Dole fruit cups and Dole jello fruit cups (be aware that the Dole fruit-n-yogurt cups are NOT gluten-free)
  • peanut butter-filled celery sticks and cream cheese-filled celery sticks
  • thermos full of home-made gluten-free soup w/ gluten-free crackers
  • cold chicken hot wings (made 'em for dinner the night before -- now they're tasty, cold the next day)
  • gluten-free potato chips, corn tortilla chips, Fritos, or Funyuns with a home-made gluten-free dipping sauce (experiment with gluten-free salad dressings mixed with sour cream or call ahead to find out if pre-made dips are gluten-free)
  • a mini sandwich bag of gluten-free mixed nuts and M&M's
  • Juicy Juice drinks

I hope my ideas have inspired some of you moms out there. If some of you have other nifty lunchbox ideas to add, please reply and share with the rest of us! :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thank u so much for posting this! i really needed it!!!

-Ali :)

1/07 Gluten free after being severely ill and fatigued for a straight year and GI issues since teenager.

2/07 Negative blood work but phenomenal results on gluten-free diet.

2/14/07 Found to be critically deficient in vitamin D.

10/27/07 Dairy free due to being sick last two months.

10/28/07 Son, 9 yrs old, began elimination diet due to tummy issues and behavior issues.

Also dx with Fibromyalgia but not 100% sure i have it anymore now that I am on gluten free diet. Could have been Celiac all along!

Gluten free is the way to be! I feel soooo much better!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter