Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, I think I need a degree in bio-chemistry to figure out if this shampoo my dermatologist recommended is safe--of course he had no clue if it was gluten free and the company has not responded to my email. Here are the ingredients:

WATER, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCO-GLUCOSIDE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, DISTEARYL ETHER, BEHENYL, ALCOHOL, COCAMIDE MIPA, AMINOMETHYL, PROPANOL, CARBOMER, DMDM, HYDANTOIN, LAURETH-2, POLYQUATERNIUM-16, POLYSILICONE-8, SAFFLOWER, GLUCOSIDES, SODIUM METHYLPARABEN, FRAGRANCE.

Sounds scary to me :lol: Any help would be appreciated as always. Take care, L.A.

Best RX? Ice Cream!

Positive Blood Test 2000

Negative Biopsy 2000

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

That is a list of all ingredients (or 99%) that can contain gluten. Especially look at the ones on the bottom starting with artificial colors. I know these are mostly for food items, but I believe it is a good place to start.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/172/1/Dr-Jo...rmis/Page1.html

This article gives basics on DH (which you might already know). It seems that ingestion is still the biggest issue, although DH seem to be set off by a few more things than Celiacs. So watch lip balm if you use it, anything that might touch your mouth. Ingestion is key.

http://www.gluten.net/dh.htm#treatment

Here it also mentions a gluten-free diet is the approach for DH also. I have not had problems with lotions or shampoos or face washes and ingestion. But I am a Celiac, so take that as you will.

BTW - none of those ingredients look like gluten to me. Methylparabens (not gluten) are supposed to bad news because they can bind to estrogen receptors in your skin. Those are found in some shampoos and lotions (Aveeno has no methylparabens). Have you tried Burt's Bees Wax? I know they are making shampoos and stuff now. I found them at Target. You have to go into the make-up section where all the bubble bath and frilly stuff is. I know Burt's lip balm is safe, I bet most of their other stuff is too.

Here is what I found on the ingredients:

sodium laureth sulfate - is a detergent, causes foaminess. may cause some dry skin.

coco-glucoside - a gentle detergent made from coconuts and a sugar

sodium chloride - table salt

distearyl ether - a surfactant, causes foaminess

behenyl - emulsifier (mixes oils and water)

alcohol - just alcohol

cocamide mipa - emulsifier

aminomethyl - helps form a gel

propanol - an alcohol

carbomer - adds acidity

DMDM - prevents molding; it is a preservative

hydantoin - not gluten; you don't want to know

laureth-2 - modified fatty acid

polyquaternium-16 - an ammonia of sorts?

polysilicone-8 - silicone

safflower - a plant

glucosides - glucose (sugar) derived

Remember, gluten refers to glutenin and gliadin, which are both proteins (sometimes called amino acids). It is actually the gliadin that we all cannot have, but is largely referred to by its parent name gluten. Alcohols, fatty acids, lipids, silicones, surfactants, sugars are nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps??

Celiac Disease 2007

Spinal Fusion 2006

Grave's Disease 2000

There is a way around every obstacle.

Join eNewsletter

I don't see anything in the list that suggests possible gluten content.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter