This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Soy-free Salad Dressings

Offthegrid

Offthegrid Explorer

I've just started to go soy-free, and discovered every dressing in the fridge has soy oil in it. What's up with that?

Anyhow, I'm ... um ... incredibly embarrassed to even ask this ... but if you do simple olive oil and vinegar, what type of vinegar do you use? And do you mix it 1:1 with olive oil?

Also, does anybody have a soy-free, casein-free recipe for a mustard-based dressing? I *love* mustard and was thinking that it could be made into a dressing fairly easily with some oil and possibly more vinegar?

Thanks,

Susie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Homemade dressings are so easy. I make them more than buy because I like the flavor better. Here are 3 of my favorites. You don't have to make the salads, you could just make the dressings and put them on your usual salad.

Parmesan Italian Vinagrette

Open Original Shared Link

Chinese Chicken Salad

The part that she calls "sauce" is the the dressing. I recommend that you use asian rice vinegar and clear sesame oil for the oil as well as the dark sesame oil that is called for. Fresh ground pepper, that's not too coarse, makes a difference in this also.

Honey-Mustard Dressing

This is a fairly light balanced dressing.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I agree with Missy'sMom. Homemade salad dressing is easy. Below is the Salad Dressing I use:

2/3 Sunflower Oil

1/3 Plain Rice Vinegar

Salt, Pepper, Ground Oregeno, and Garlic Power to taste.

This salad dressing has the advantage of not needing refrigeration. I have this dressing in my purse in a two ounce leakproof bottle.

Mango04 Enthusiast

You can use balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar...really almost any kind of vinegar...

1 do one part vinegar to 3 or 4 parts oil. Wisk it together. That's all you have to do.

If you mix together apple cider vinegar with olive oil, then add honey and mustard (just add small amounts and keep tasting it until you like it)...you'll have a pretty good dressing.

Annie's makes a honey mustard dressing that I think might be soy-free...but it's better if you make it yourself. :)

• 2 years later...
twinkle-toez Apprentice

I've just started to go soy-free, and discovered every dressing in the fridge has soy oil in it. What's up with that?

Possibly a naive question - I know that almost all soy sauce has gluten in it, and that almost all salad dressings having soy in them - but does the soy listed in salad dressings have gluten in it as well? I'm not sure what exactly the difference b/w soy in salad dressing vs soy sauce is...

missy'smom Collaborator

Possibly a naive question - I know that almost all soy sauce has gluten in it, and that almost all salad dressings having soy in them - but does the soy listed in salad dressings have gluten in it as well? I'm not sure what exactly the difference b/w soy in salad dressing vs soy sauce is...

The soy in salad dressing is usually one of two things-either soy oil, soy lecitin etc. all of which are just soy. The other type of "soy" ingredient is soy sauce. Soy sauce is made from both soy and wheat, usually. If the salad dressing had soy sauce in it and that soy sauce contained wheat, by law, the wheat is required to be listed on the label.

GFinDC Veteran

I don't make a salad dressing very often, but when I do I add a little psyillium husks to it. This makes it thicken and it doesn't separate as quickly. Shake it good and leave it for 15 minutes so the psillium husks can absorb some moisture then shake it up again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived