Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offthegrid

Homemade Soy-free Salad Dressings

I've just started to go soy-free, and discovered every dressing in the fridge has soy oil in it. What's up with that?

Anyhow, I'm ... um ... incredibly embarrassed to even ask this ... but if you do simple olive oil and vinegar, what type of vinegar do you use? And do you mix it 1:1 with olive oil?

Also, does anybody have a soy-free, casein-free recipe for a mustard-based dressing? I *love* mustard and was thinking that it could be made into a dressing fairly easily with some oil and possibly more vinegar?

Thanks,

Susie

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Homemade dressings are so easy. I make them more than buy because I like the flavor better. Here are 3 of my favorites. You don't have to make the salads, you could just make the dressings and put them on your usual salad.

Parmesan Italian Vinagrette

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/lofiversion...php/t30501.html

Chinese Chicken Salad

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0018...icken_salad.php

The part that she calls "sauce" is the the dressing. I recommend that you use asian rice vinegar and clear sesame oil for the oil as well as the dark sesame oil that is called for. Fresh ground pepper, that's not too coarse, makes a difference in this also.

Honey-Mustard Dressing

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...&pid=255963

This is a fairly light balanced dressing.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I agree with Missy'sMom. Homemade salad dressing is easy. Below is the Salad Dressing I use:

2/3 Sunflower Oil

1/3 Plain Rice Vinegar

Salt, Pepper, Ground Oregeno, and Garlic Power to taste.

This salad dressing has the advantage of not needing refrigeration. I have this dressing in my purse in a two ounce leakproof bottle.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Join eNewsletter

You can use balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar...really almost any kind of vinegar...

1 do one part vinegar to 3 or 4 parts oil. Wisk it together. That's all you have to do.

If you mix together apple cider vinegar with olive oil, then add honey and mustard (just add small amounts and keep tasting it until you like it)...you'll have a pretty good dressing.

Annie's makes a honey mustard dressing that I think might be soy-free...but it's better if you make it yourself. :)

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

I've just started to go soy-free, and discovered every dressing in the fridge has soy oil in it. What's up with that?

Possibly a naive question - I know that almost all soy sauce has gluten in it, and that almost all salad dressings having soy in them - but does the soy listed in salad dressings have gluten in it as well? I'm not sure what exactly the difference b/w soy in salad dressing vs soy sauce is...

Join eNewsletter

Possibly a naive question - I know that almost all soy sauce has gluten in it, and that almost all salad dressings having soy in them - but does the soy listed in salad dressings have gluten in it as well? I'm not sure what exactly the difference b/w soy in salad dressing vs soy sauce is...

The soy in salad dressing is usually one of two things-either soy oil, soy lecitin etc. all of which are just soy. The other type of "soy" ingredient is soy sauce. Soy sauce is made from both soy and wheat, usually. If the salad dressing had soy sauce in it and that soy sauce contained wheat, by law, the wheat is required to be listed on the label.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I don't make a salad dressing very often, but when I do I add a little psyillium husks to it. This makes it thicken and it doesn't separate as quickly. Shake it good and leave it for 15 minutes so the psillium husks can absorb some moisture then shake it up again.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter