Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

How To Chop Onions Without Crying, Burning Eyes?

i put my onions in the freezer for about 5 minutes before choppin' em, but that doesn't seem to help much. how do they do it on the cooking shows, without getting all blotchy and teary? lol!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wash the onion in cold water. Then, turn on burners on your gas stove (or light a candle) and cut it next to that. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Join eNewsletter

I wear my swim goggles. No kidding.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

i put my onions in the freezer for about 5 minutes before choppin' em, but that doesn't seem to help much. how do they do it on the cooking shows, without getting all blotchy and teary? lol!

You probably have to put them in the freezer longer. I won't have problems if I keep the onions in the refridgerator but if I cut a room tempeture onion I'll have tears running down my cheeks. If I do have to cut an onion that way I'll get a small fan and aim it so it blows the gasses away from me.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

Join eNewsletter

You probably have to put them in the freezer longer. I won't have problems if I keep the onions in the refridgerator but if I cut a room tempeture onion I'll have tears running down my cheeks. If I do have to cut an onion that way I'll get a small fan and aim it so it blows the gasses away from me.

Gail

I agree. When I cut an onion at room temp, I also have tears just streaming down my face, and snot too (sorry). But I noticed when I grab a leftover half an onion out of the fridge and cut that up, I rarely have any problem at all. I think they need to be really cold.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

hm, defintely gonna give these tips a try :D thanks

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter