• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest melannen

Need Help Finding...

Rate this topic

Guest melannen

Hello all! I haven't been around for quite awhile; I've been spending less time on the computer :)

Anyways, I need your help. Last year I found a FABULOUS pie crust recipe (gluten-free of course) in the NEWSPAPER (of all places :lol:). This year I would LOVE to make it again, but I can't find the recipe! This pie crust was absolutely PERFECT :(

So here's what I know about it...

It came from a Utah newspaper, I believe it was the Deseret News.

It had Cream Cheese in it.

Sadly that's all I remember...

I would very much appreciate any and all help in my quest.

I've PM'd a few people that I thought may have this recipe so sorry if you read about this twice.

Also if you have a pie crust recipe that is your favorite feel free to post it. If I fail in my quest I'll be looking for substitutes.

Guest melannen

Ooo that looks like a good one, but I'm not sure that's the exact one...I don't think mine had shortening in it. :unsure: I'll have to check with Mum as she was my partner in crime/baking. :D

Either way, thank you so much! If I can't find the one I'm looking for (or at least the one I think I'm looking for :lol:) I'll definitely be giving this one a try sometime!

Yay for pie!!

great receipe...however what was the answer to whether or not the cream cheese based uncooked crust can be frozen successfully and retain its taste and texture?

great receipe...however what was the answer to whether or not the cream cheese based uncooked crust can be frozen successfully and retain its taste and texture?

The orginal poster of the recipe said she freezes hers (Unbaked) all the time with no noticeable impact on the taste and texture. She freezes it in balls rather than rolling it out and putting it in the pan before freezing. I think I am going to try that next time I make the recipe.

Ooo that looks like a good one, but I'm not sure that's the exact one...I don't think mine had shortening in it. I'll have to check with Mum as she was my partner in crime/baking.

I searched the Deseret News website, and came up with this article. It looks like it is the same recipe.

Happy baking!

Hey, there, melannen!

I got on the deseret news site and found this recipe. It came from the gfutah people, as I suspected. Here you go!

Ingredients

1 cup white rice flour

3/4 cup potato starch

1/2 cup tapioca starch

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

1/2 cup shortening

4 ounces cream cheese

1 egg plus 2 egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 tablespoons very cold water

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening and cream cheese with pastry cutter until the size of peas. Stir in eggs and vanilla; add enough water to form dough. Form 2 or 3 balls. Makes two 9-inch deep-dish pie crusts or three 8-inch pie crusts.

Single crust pie: Place a ball in the center of a 8- or 9-inch pie tin and pat out, covering bottom and sides of pan. Press top edge into a design. For a pre-baked crust, prick crust with a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until crust is slightly brown. Fill with desired filling.

Directions

Double crust pie: Pat a pastry ball in pie pan for bottom crust. Pour filling into crust. Roll out top crust on a cornstarch-dusted pastry cloth using a covered rolling pin. Place crust on top of filled pie and use fingers to crimp edges. (You may roll out crust between sheets of plastic wrap to desired size, remove top plastic sheet and use remaining sheet to reverse dough onto the filling.) Bake as directed for filling used.