• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

blondebombshell

Pumpkin Pie Help!

Rate this topic

I use this recipe for pumpkin pie: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Perfect-Pumpkin-Pie/Detail.aspx I don't use Eagle Brand though because I don't know if its gluten free. I use Walmart's generic brand, Great Value. They turn out fabulous. It is by far the best pumpkin pie recipe I've tried. I've done it crustless in cupcake foils and I've also made it with a delicious graham cracker crust. I used Kinnikinnick's graham cracker crumbs and just followed the directions on the package. It turned out wonderful. The only regular pie crust I've ever had any success with is the one in Analise Robert's book Baking Classics. I can't find the book right now, but the pie crust is really good. Perhaps someone else will post the recipe. I much prefer the sweeter crusts, so I've only made the Analise Roberts one in a pot pie once, but it turned out very well.

Libby's 100% pumpkin is gluten free. :)

Hi and welcome! :)

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Perfect Pie Crust Mix. It's very good and tastes as good or better than the "regular". Follow the directions, and be sure to roll out between plastic wrap so it dosen't stick to the counter.

As for the filling--I use the Libby's Pure Pumpkin (not the mix) and follow the directions on the can. I subsitiute vanilla almond milk for the evaporated milk because I'm dairy free--if you're ok with dairy then you can just follow the recipe as it is.

I second the gluten free pantry pie crust mix. It's great and each mix is big enough for two double crust pies. Most pumpkin filling recipes should be gluten free. Just make sure you read all labels. :)

I follow the directions on the Libby's can only I do not make a crust but add 1/4 more gluten-free flour mixture than the recipe calls for. It gets rave reviews and everyone likes it better without the crust. It cuts fine and stands up on its own, just like it had a crust.

Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk is gluten free, and I use their recipe for the pie filling using Libby's pure pumpkin. McCormick's seasonings are all OK, too, you can even use their pumpkin pie spice.

As for crust, there are a few options: Authentic Foods and Gluten Free Pantry make good crusts. If you're near a Whole Foods (at least in Southern California this is the case) they'll be having frozen gluten-free pie crusts sometime before Thanksgiving again. They come two in a package, and I already tried them myself. They're really good the first day, and get a little tougher by the second, but still good. Also, if in a pinch, you can make a cookie crumb crust, too, using gluten free cookies. I use Mi-Del gluten free Ginger Snaps or Pecan Sandies, crush them up until I get about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs, add 1/2 cup melted butter, preferably unsalted (could use margarine) and press on the bottom of the pie plate, just like a "regular" cookie crust. Bake it for about 10 minutes at 350

wow, ok, thanks so much everyone!

now i know how to make a crust! i have never made one before. i usually use a pre-made one but now would like to make it myself so it can be gluten free.

now i have to perfect the filling!

Here's the filling recipe I use. I love it. It's mellow and so creamy. I think it may be a little more work than other recipes, but I think it's well worth it.

Pumpkin Pie Filling:

1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin

1/2 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup heavy cream

7 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk

6 1/2 tablespoons evaporated milk

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pinch ground clove

Pinch salt

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

Equipment: 9-inch pie pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line the pie shell with aluminum foil and fill with dried beans. Bake the shell until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Remove the foil and beans.

Meanwhile, make the Filling: Lower the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, mix together the pumpkin and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until reduced and thick, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream, milks, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, salt, eggs, and yolk. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake until set, about 45 to 55 minutes. Cool and serve