Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brady's Mom

Toddler With Multiple Food Allergies And Poss Celiac What To Feed?

My two-year old son is allergic to milk, soy, corn, eggs and wheat. The pediatric allergist and GI think it may be celiac as well as eosiniphilic esophagitis. We are working with a pediatric allergist, GI, endocrinologist, ENT and pediatrician. This all started because he was diagnosed as failure to thrive at two months old and has had many illnesses (recurrent ear infections, two hospitalizations -- one for RSV and one for dehydration from augmentin), ear tubes, colic...the list goes on.

We removed dairy from his diet at 1 year and went to a soy formula (he had been on a lacto-free formula before that in addition to breastfeeding and I removed milk from my diet). He has been gluten, soy, egg and casein free since May. In the first month after this dietary change he gained two pounds. He has been corn free for two weeks. In that period, he has gained two pounds and 1/4 inch in height. This is huge since he was below the first percentile for height and below the third for weight in March. Now he is at the fifth percentile for height and the just below the 10th for weight -- HUGE gains and I credit it all to his diet.

Our allergist is not comfortable putting him on wheat and dairy for the GI testing since the last time we did a challenge with wheat in addition to the bowel problems he had an asthma flare and he was grabbing at his throat. She wants to wait six months and try again, but we are just "guessing" that he has celiac even though his blood panel was negative. GI said that is common in toddlers. His RAST testing was positive for wheat, milk protein, soy and egg and we did patch testing two weeks ago that was positive for corn (he still has a welt).

There doesn't seem to be many places to find information for celiac in addition to other allergies.

Anyway, the corn allergy is a recent addition to the list and I am finding it the most challenging since many products substitute corn for gluten. Is there anyone else out there with a similar allergy combination? Any other sources of information? He is a very picky eater which makes this even more difficult. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like meats, fruits, rice, and most veggies are fine which is great! I think I'd stick with a whole food diet. Processed foods seem easier but once you get used to cooking with whole foods, I bet you'll find the whole family likes them better!

The hard thing is going to be snack foods. For a lot of snacks, you can serve fruits and veggies but I bet you could also find a good snack at the health food store that don't have the things he can't have.

I sent you a message!

Join eNewsletter

Your situation sounds similar to mine. We are dealing with food allergies and possible celiac. My daughter also two is allergic to milk, fish, shellfish, possibly rice and corn (small welt on skin test). She is still eating corn and rice and has been milk-free for 1 month and gluten-free for two weeks. I found out about a formula called Neocate Jr. It is a complete medical food providing all nutrients and calories. I have been mixing it with my daughter's soymilk (like two oz Neocate to six oz soymilk) three times a day. It is very expensive but available online. It has allowed me to sleep at night knowing she is getting many nutrients she would otherwise not be getting with all the dietary restrictions. My thoughts are with you. Laura

Join eNewsletter

my one year old is gluten, dairy, soya and egg free (although we just tried him on eggs and he had no reaction :) ) The hardest was snacks - he wanted g.f. pretzels, crisps etc like his older sister and i couldn't give them to him!! I did find something that he liked (besides chocolate :D ) and that was dried fruit, either sweetened or more often than not without sugar added. I made it into such a treat that my older one doesn't gloat anymore about her stuff, he gets proud as a peacock aabout his!! Talk about sibling rivalry ;)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions everyone. I hadn't thought about gluten being a trigger food rather than celiac...we'll have to investigate that.

On the Neocate, I thought that contained corn (actually I haven't found a formula that doesn't, even the supposed hypoallergenic ones).

We've actually been doing close to a whole foods diet, it's just so hard to find convenience foods for when we are out and about. He loves the gluten-free pretzels, but they have corn and soy and I haven't found any that didn't. We are using several of the Enjoy Life snacks and he likes those.

I was planning to ask our allergist to refer us to a nutritionist. Has anyone seen one and is it helpful or more confusing?

Join eNewsletter

You are right about the Neocate. It contains corn syrup solids. Can he tolerate potatoes?

I "think" he can tolerate potatoes. I am not too sure about anything anymore! His patch test came back slightly positive for potato, but the allergist said she didn't want to remove it from his diet as that would become too restrictive. I have heard that potatoes purchased in bags are a no on a gluten-free diet as the bags are coated with something that has wheat in it to keep them from sticking to the bag. Anyone else heard that one? My friend who is allergic to wheat actually did a blind study on her own and had symptoms with the bagged potatoes but not with the bin ones. I've been buying potatoes only from the bin and using gluten-free potato flakes (Idahoan) mixed with his rice milk, although I don't know what I'll use for margarine now as the one I found that was soy and dairy free is made from corn...back to the drawing board on that one.

Join eNewsletter

I've never heard the potato bag thing! Crap!

Instead of margarine, can you use olive oil? I prefer it in most instances anyway even though I can eat butter.

That was my exact reaction when she told me about the potato thing!

I hadn't thought about using olive oil. I'll have to try that. I use it a lot for other things. Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Just FYI, I have a potato allergy but I'm fine as long as they are cooked. The same with apples. I would try and see if he does fine with boiled potatoes.

~Melanie~

Mommy to:

Jonathan-10-02-2000, seasonal allergies and Asthma, taking Flovent, Claritin and Nasonex.

Owen-04-29-2005, GERD, 20mgs of Prilosec, 2.5mgs Zyrtec. Negative bloodwork and biopsies but great dietary response.

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) both celiac genes

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 24 Units

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 18

Join eNewsletter

***HUGS***

i feel your pain. my DDs cant eat any of those foods either. plus they absolutely dont tolerate potatoes or rice either :( it is almost impossible to find anything to feed them. they can eat veggies, meat, and some fruits. that doesnt leave much for a toddler and preschooler. i dont really have any answers for you other than to try Enjoy Life foods (as someone already mentioned) and maybe try tapioca starch instead of corn starch if you are baking. as far as the snack foods...i know...it is SO hard!

mine are back on G for a while for testing purposes because it is so hard to be gluten-free when you cant eat corn, rice, or potato! (i keep hoping it isnt celiac disease and something else instead). so YAY for my LOs...they are in heaven being able to eat so much right now :D

take care

Join eNewsletter

For snacks, try Lara Bars. They have very few (unprocessed) ingredients. The Apple Pie one I have has ingredients: dates, almonds, unsweetened apples, walnuts, raisins and cinnamon. States "gluten, dairy and soy free" on the label. My kids and my friends' kids like them.

For a treat, get some chocolate without soy or milk (I think there is such a thing, ask on the Products board here) you could dip dried fruit or fresh fruit in chocolate for a treat. Or dip apple slices in some peanut butter. Trader Joes has dried mangos, dried cherries, dried pinapple, dried strawberries etc. that my kids just love.

Good luck!

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

***HUGS***

i feel your pain. my DDs cant eat any of those foods either. plus they absolutely dont tolerate potatoes or rice either :( it is almost impossible to find anything to feed them. they can eat veggies, meat, and some fruits. that doesnt leave much for a toddler and preschooler. i dont really have any answers for you other than to try Enjoy Life foods (as someone already mentioned) and maybe try tapioca starch instead of corn starch if you are baking. as far as the snack foods...i know...it is SO hard!

mine are back on G for a while for testing purposes because it is so hard to be gluten-free when you cant eat corn, rice, or potato! (i keep hoping it isnt celiac disease and something else instead). so YAY for my LOs...they are in heaven being able to eat so much right now :D

take care

Thank you! It's good to know there are others out there with similar issues (or worse...no rice or potatoes!). We've been stocking up on Enjoy Life foods, but our store doesn't have a huge selection. I'm going to find another source. He loves the very berry bars. I haven't been baking, so I'll have to get some tapioca starch. I heard somewhere that xantham gum has corn in it, do you know if that is true?

Good luck to you, hopefully they can stay on the gluten and have a more varied diet!

Thanks again :)

Join eNewsletter

For snacks, try Lara Bars. They have very few (unprocessed) ingredients. The Apple Pie one I have has ingredients: dates, almonds, unsweetened apples, walnuts, raisins and cinnamon. States "gluten, dairy and soy free" on the label. My kids and my friends' kids like them.

For a treat, get some chocolate without soy or milk (I think there is such a thing, ask on the Products board here) you could dip dried fruit or fresh fruit in chocolate for a treat. Or dip apple slices in some peanut butter. Trader Joes has dried mangos, dried cherries, dried pinapple, dried strawberries etc. that my kids just love.

Good luck!

~Laura

Thanks Laura! Where can I buy Lara Bars? They sound really good.

I have Enjoy Life chocolate chips, so it is free of everything. I hadn't thought of melting it for a treat. We are avoiding peanuts right now in the hopes that he won't develop an allergy, but I could try sunflower seed butter with the fruit.

Thanks again, this has been very helpful! :D

Join eNewsletter

Thanks Laura! Where can I buy Lara Bars? They sound really good.

I have Enjoy Life chocolate chips, so it is free of everything. I hadn't thought of melting it for a treat. We are avoiding peanuts right now in the hopes that he won't develop an allergy, but I could try sunflower seed butter with the fruit.

Thanks again, this has been very helpful! :D

I buy Lara Bars at the local grocery stores and drug stores, Krogers/Fred Meyer, Whole Foods and Trader Joes. They are with the protein bars, have lots of flavors. In fact, I gave some to my friend's daughter, who has celiac, two days before I was diagnosed. I thought celiac was only diagnosed during childhood. HA!

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

I buy Lara Bars at the local grocery stores and drug stores, Krogers/Fred Meyer, Whole Foods and Trader Joes. They are with the protein bars, have lots of flavors. In fact, I gave some to my friend's daughter, who has celiac, two days before I was diagnosed. I thought celiac was only diagnosed during childhood. HA!

Great, I usually shop at Kroger. I'll stop by there and try some. Yeah, I have a colleague whose daughter was diagnosed at 19, she was told that most cases are diagnosed after 30. After a month on the diet her daughter ate at Olive Garden and said "Wow, I forgot how bad my stomach would hurt after eating." Her mom was mortified to think her child thought that a stomachache after eating was "normal" all those years!

Join eNewsletter

I feel your pain. Our 14 mo old was diagnosed with milk, egg, peanut, soy, rice, and gluten allergies at 7 mo. We've since had no luck with any legumes at all (not even green beans!), so it's super tough when it comes time to pack his lunch for daycare. Let me tell you a few finger foods that I have found alot of luck with:

meatballs: most of the time I make them with ground turkey, chicken, lean beef, and some combination of spinach, spices, and cooked millet or amaranth. Have you tried these grains? I especially like the cooked amaranth b/c it's choc full of calcium and omega 3's, so I feel like he is getting a well balanced meal in a ball. I can make a huge batch twice a month, and then pull them out of the freezer and straight into the lunch box.

He can only tolerate 3 grains: millet, amaranth, and buckwheat. He LOVES creamy buckwheat cereal (we buy Bob's Red Mill)...not to be confused with wheat. Have you tried this? It's like an oatmealish thing for breakfast, and I cook it with plain water in the micro and add in 1-2 T of applesauce. He can't get enough.

I ordered a few snack foods from this company last week: www.nuworldamaranth.com. They make "cheerios", and other snack like foods that are only made with amaranth, tapioca starch, and I think arrowroot? Anyhow check this company out. I am so excited to try their products, b/c it's exhausting coming up with snack foods.

Other snacky ideas if they can tolerate rice: rice cakes, puffed rice, cream of rice, etc.

I also recently had luck with potato cakes. I boiled potatoes, mashed them with chicken broth for liquid, added in a little bit of mild curry. then stirred in cubes of millet bread, made patties and pan-fried (not much oil though, just enough to keep from sticking. It smelled like he just left an Indian restaurant, but he chowed down on these really fast.

One more idea: tuna or salmon croquette's. Instead of mixing with crackers or bread crumbs like most recipes call for, use rice cakes, puffed millet, cooked millet, etc. We especially like these with millet, nice flavor. Sorry for the really long post, but I know what you are going through. It's a neverending thing trying to come up with recipes. If you are interested in more, you can send me an email offline.

Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

I feel your pain. Our 14 mo old was diagnosed with milk, egg, peanut, soy, rice, and gluten allergies at 7 mo. We've since had no luck with any legumes at all (not even green beans!), so it's super tough when it comes time to pack his lunch for daycare. Let me tell you a few finger foods that I have found alot of luck with:

meatballs: most of the time I make them with ground turkey, chicken, lean beef, and some combination of spinach, spices, and cooked millet or amaranth. Have you tried these grains? I especially like the cooked amaranth b/c it's choc full of calcium and omega 3's, so I feel like he is getting a well balanced meal in a ball. I can make a huge batch twice a month, and then pull them out of the freezer and straight into the lunch box.

He can only tolerate 3 grains: millet, amaranth, and buckwheat. He LOVES creamy buckwheat cereal (we buy Bob's Red Mill)...not to be confused with wheat. Have you tried this? It's like an oatmealish thing for breakfast, and I cook it with plain water in the micro and add in 1-2 T of applesauce. He can't get enough.

I ordered a few snack foods from this company last week: www.nuworldamaranth.com. They make "cheerios", and other snack like foods that are only made with amaranth, tapioca starch, and I think arrowroot? Anyhow check this company out. I am so excited to try their products, b/c it's exhausting coming up with snack foods.

Other snacky ideas if they can tolerate rice: rice cakes, puffed rice, cream of rice, etc.

I also recently had luck with potato cakes. I boiled potatoes, mashed them with chicken broth for liquid, added in a little bit of mild curry. then stirred in cubes of millet bread, made patties and pan-fried (not much oil though, just enough to keep from sticking. It smelled like he just left an Indian restaurant, but he chowed down on these really fast.

One more idea: tuna or salmon croquette's. Instead of mixing with crackers or bread crumbs like most recipes call for, use rice cakes, puffed millet, cooked millet, etc. We especially like these with millet, nice flavor. Sorry for the really long post, but I know what you are going through. It's a neverending thing trying to come up with recipes. If you are interested in more, you can send me an email offline.

Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try out the meatballs. I hadn't thought of that one. He's pretty much surviving on chicken, peas, rice, rice pasta with marinara sauce, rice cereal and pureed fruit, rice crackers and enjoy life granola bars. Not a very varied diet right now. It just seems that every time I try to introduce a new food the diarrhea kicks in and we're back to square one. Corn is so insidious, it's in everything. Right now I'm just trying to get him to go two days without diarrhea before I introduce anything new.

Thanks again!

:) Lynn

Join eNewsletter

Is your son taking any medications? My daughter's situation is similar no gluten, dairy, fish, shellfish, rice, or corn. The rice and corn are new. I agree with you about the corn. It is very hard to remove while on a gluten-free diet. When Julia started taking Zyrtec her stool consistency improved. I think sometimes their intestines are so inflammed that they react to everything they eat and it is difficult to pin down exactly what is causing the symptoms. I also read that Singular may be of benefit. He may already be taking these medications but it was just an idea I had. We are trying Quinoa right now since I was in desperate need of a "noodle". Laura

Join eNewsletter

ive had bag potatos and been fine, do you know for sure that he doesnt have celiac disease? have you been to a nuttionist yet?

I don't know for sure that he doesn't have celiac disease. His blood panels were inconclusive and his allergist doesn't want to put him back on gluten because he had an asthma flare the last time he had wheat.

We have an appointment with a nutritionist next Friday.

He is not currently on any medications. He was on Zantac as an infant, but we weaned him off of it at 1 year.

Lynn

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter