Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

on their website they say that they are allergen free but that the glaze has wheat starch. In Houston, TX a location has said that they have had so many requests for their glaze to be celiac friendly that they no longer have wheat starch in their glaze.

I'm just wanting some feedback on this subject. The man on the phone really sounds like he knows his stuff.

thanks for the help!

emily

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

To my knowledge, some honey baked hams are gluten free IF they are cooked without the glaze. (some have glaze packets that you apply when re-heating the ham).

It's the glaze that most likely is wheat based.

If a ham already has the glaze on it, you CAN NOT eat around the glaze as it will be contaminated with the glutenous glaze. Some hams MAY have a gluten free glaze. ALWAYS read the labels.

It's good to know that companies are listening.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

on their website they say that they are allergen free but that the glaze has wheat starch. In Houston, TX a location has said that they have had so many requests for their glaze to be celiac friendly that they no longer have wheat starch in their glaze.

I'm just wanting some feedback on this subject. The man on the phone really sounds like he knows his stuff.

thanks for the help!

emily

I would skip the preglazed. Glazes are really easy to make yourself. I just throw together brown sugar and gluten-free mustard and heat until the sugar dissolves. Sometimes I will add pineapple juice. Then I just baste the fresh ham with that. There are lots of easy glaze recipes around.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

There is a pretty lengthy discussion going on right now over on Delphi about this subject. It appears that Honey Baked Hams has reformulated their glaze, and it is now gluten-free. Here is a link to that topic.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter