Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShayBraMom

Soem People Here Who Bake Their Own Glutenfree Breads?

since we switch to totally glutenfree in this house after an incident where my daughter picked up a couple of noodles my son hasd dropped adn ate them before I could diggem out of her mouth (it's been salmost a weeek and we still deal with the effects) I ordered myself a Book with glutenfree recepies and a Zo Breadmachine which is supposed to be asweome for fglutenfree baking!

The Recepiebook is not here yet but tomorrow is tghe only day where we can go to Tucson (almost two hours from here) to shop for glutenfree stuff (our store here closed). I have Bette Hagmans book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes!

any idea what the standart flours and things are in glutenfree bread? Maybe someoibne has the book even and can let me know? That way I can buy the main stuff and start baking right away once the stuff is here without having to go back to tucson first or paying crazuy ammouns in S&H for ordering stuff on the net!

Susi with Shayden and Brandy

Shayden, pos. with DQ 2, pos. for Glutensensitivity with Tissuetransglutaminase Stool TgA 45 Units

Brandy, pos. with DQ2 + DQ8, DX Celiac Nov.07, gluten-free since Nov. 1st 07, Tissuetransglutaminase Stool TgA 63 Units

Me: Gastroscopy negative f. Celiac, IBS, Oesophagitis, Hiatus-Hernia

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well I'm not sure what exactly her book calls for, but I will list the staples in my house. I have a few books and they are all about the same. I use corn starch, potato starch, and tapioca starch/flour. I use both white and brown rice flour. You should also get a bean flour. There are many to choose from and they seem interchangeable in recipes. I think sorghum is the best, but fava bean is also good. I REALLY dislike garbanzo and soy flours. I also use a bit of potato flour in my flour mix, but it is probably not essential. I would also get either almond or flax meal. I like the flavor of almond meal. You will also need a dough enhancer like xanthan or guar gum, and some recipes call for egg replacers, but it's usually optional. I know it's a lot. You can buy in bulk from Bob's Red Mill, but I am not sure about shipping rates.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Join eNewsletter

Guest j_mommy

I also want to add that some of Bette's recipes call for unflavored gelatin and instant potatoes.

I use her featherlite recipes. If you don't have xanthan or guar gum I would definetly pick that up. Another thing her recipes call for is dry milk powder and vinegar.

Enjoy the shopping!

Join eNewsletter

yes, i use her featherlight mix in everything! keep a big tupperware of it in my cupboard. it really substitutes well, in gluten-free recipes and regular recipes. be sure and get some xanthan gum too. a great source for bread recipes i've found is eatingglutenfree.com. i've yet to make a recipe from that site that turned out badly! my faves are the breadsticks and the chocolate eclair cake. good luck!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

I regularly use rice flour (I get mine at an asian store where it is extremely cheap and it is a very fine texture which is what Bette Hagman reccomends), tapioca starch, potato starch, xanthan gum, gelatin, dough enhancer (make sure it is gluten-free), egg replacer (even if you can use eggs, the replacer makes a great leavener w/out extra liquid and I use it alot), non-instant dry milk (this is different than the kind you get at the store).

Also, make sure you have lots of containers to store your different mixes. I hate trying to measure some powder stuff straight out of the box or a baggie. I even keep my salt in a little tub because it is easier to measure it when cooking. I have my little label maker and I label all my containers w/it! Xanthan gum can get expensive, but I order it from barryfarm.com, and it is cheaper from them.

Good luck! I hope you find all you need on your trip!

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Join eNewsletter

I use:

White Rice Flour (I buy it cheap in the Mexican section of my grocery store)

Tapioca Starch

Sorghum Flour

xanthan gum

Cornstarch

vinegar

non-fat instant dry milk powder

unflavored Knox gelatin

yeast

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

I use:

White Rice Flour (I buy it cheap in the Mexican section of my grocery store)

Tapioca Starch

Sorghum Flour

xanthan gum

Cornstarch

vinegar

non-fat instant dry milk powder

unflavored Knox gelatin

yeast

The above is what I use for 90% of my baking. The Featherlight mix is white rice flour, tapioca flour, and corn starch. With the above ingredients you can make really good bread and pizza crust.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Join eNewsletter

... You should also get a bean flour. There are many to choose from and they seem interchangeable in recipes. I think sorghum is the best, ...

Sorghum isn't actually a bean, it's a seed/grain. Agreed that it's popular, though, and I like that it's a whole grain flour and not a refined starch.

I'm a newbie, too, cringing my way through the transition from milling my own whole flours to baking with, at least in part, bare white starches. And not having much success, so far, either. :( We'll see how today's attempt turns out.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter