Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Have A Great Job Opportunity, But

i dont think i can take it cause of my dietary and lifestyle issues. the job will require a lot of travel and if i'm not home and cant cook for myself im gonna be forced to eat out or skip meals cause there wont be anything I can eat. i really don't know what to do

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

what kind of travel are you looking at?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Don't let it hold you back!

I had a job that required about 75% travel. So, I rented short term apartments with full kitchens. Extended Stay America has them for around $70 to $100 per night. Sometimes there wasn't one around so I'd have to have a hotel room, small fridge and small microwave. I also kept a kit in my car with pans, hotplates,and everything else I'd need to make quick meals. Spaghetti, homemade soup...

It wasn't the easiest, but you can make it work..paticularly if you can get an apartment style hotel and there is a wal-mart and a grocery store nearby!

Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26

gluten / casein intolerant

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:

Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk

William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

Join eNewsletter

Many Celiacs have jobs that require a good amount of travel. It is certainly not impossible.

You can get an inexpensive toaster oven that can easily fit in a suitcase to take with you on trips when you can't stay at a place with a microwave/small kitchen. That should help with the travel.

Join eNewsletter

Don't let it hold you back!

I had a job that required about 75% travel. So, I rented short term apartments with full kitchens. Extended Stay America has them for around $70 to $100 per night. Sometimes there wasn't one around so I'd have to have a hotel room, small fridge and small microwave. I also kept a kit in my car with pans, hotplates,and everything else I'd need to make quick meals. Spaghetti, homemade soup...

It wasn't the easiest, but you can make it work..paticularly if you can get an apartment style hotel and there is a wal-mart and a grocery store nearby!

Yes do this! I was planning a trip to FL this summer (never ended up going) but you can get some cheap hotels with full kitchens in them. Just pack your own food. Or if you're road-trippin' it, bring along some camping gear or at least your own pots and pans. I always take food with me on the airplane. Ususally I just freeze it the night before so it stays cold through the flight. Check it though, don't wanna mess with the liquid hassle. Oh and if you're packing oatmeal, don't carry it on. they had to search my bag b/c I had a box of oatmeal, and apparently it looks the same as liquid in the x-rays :rolleyes:

it's totally doable!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter