This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Bring Myself Back After A Gluten Binge

merly

merly Newbie

I have been bingeing on gluten for a month now, and am sick as a dog. I got a taste of the good food and now can't seem to get back on track. Even though I am sick, bloated dh everything else, the bread keeps calling. How do you handle this. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Aren't there any gluten-free items you can binge on instead? Me and my non-gluten free friend love making gluten-free pizzas and we keep eating them and eating them. Arrowhead Mills is the brand and it is so yummie. There are delicious gluten-free baked goods and there is always chocolate! In the end I think it is up to you to stop and I know you can do it! You need to be healthy, really. Good luck and I hope you learn to crave gluten-free.

Offthegrid Explorer

It can be really hard. I had a tough time sticking to the diet for quite a few months after diagnosis. What happened to me is if I accidentally got glutened, I figured it wouldn't matter if I ate some, and then I'd eat some the next day and it was a spiral.

You just gotta make it a few days, and you'll start to feel better. Then you won't crave it so much. I have no desire for a sandwich anymore.

Substitute some of your favorites and make sure to give yourself some treats, too, so you won't feel deprived. If you're craving bread, how about making some gluten-free banana bread or corn bread? These are very, very simple and can help with that. Plus warm banana bread fresh from the oven tastes way better than a sandwich.

You can do this!

kbtoyssni Contributor

You may want to remind yourself that gluten is addicting to people with celiac so you will probably have some withdrawal and cravings for it. And what do you mean by "you got the taste for good food"? I love the food that I eat. Maybe you could get a new cookbook or check out a recipe site and start cooking new, yummy foods.

Guest Cari5393

Binge away - on safe foods. When I get sick of the fruit and veggies I eat chips and salsa, popcorn, candy (snickers, M&M's, starburts, skittles ect.) cookies, the Gluten-Free Pantry cookie mix tastes a lot like 'regular' cookie dough before baking it. I have been putting peanut butter on everything! Try not to focus on what you cant have. Make a list of the snacks and treats you can eat and binge on those. :D

Cari

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I think it's really easy for us all to tell you not to cheat. That isn't really the issue. The important thing is to figure out why you feel/felt compelled to eat foods that are not safe for you. Once we know that, we can help you over come it. What is the main issue for you?

- Can't eat family favorites? Post some recipes and we'll help you convert them.

- gluten-free is not as convenient? We can give you ideas for grab-and-go foods.

- gluten-free food too expensive? We can give you ideas on how to get the costs down.

- Don't know how to cook tasty gluten-free foods? We can help you find easy, delicious recipes.

- It's hard to eat out? Tell us what you like to eat and we can help you get a safe meal at a safe restaurant.

- Don't know what to eat? We can help you learn to read labels.

- Don't know how seriously sick you can get from eating gluten? Let some of us that nearly died before diagnosis tell you how serious it can get.

- Don't have the will power? We can help you with that too.

I'm sure there are other things that can make someone want to cheat. Once you get to the bottom of why you do it, you can figure out how to keep from doing it.

Rya Newbie

Pick one food that you really want to have. Pick a day (preferably soon - now) that you want to sit down and enjoy this food. Light some candles if you want. Really, really enjoy it. As soon as you enjoy your food, mark your calendar that this is the day you will start gluten-free. Once gluten-free, everyone is right, there are fabulous foods I enjoy and many, many more that I am learning about on this forum. Tons of resources for us folks.

Open Original Shared Link

These babies are fantastic. Use about a 70% cocoa chocolate. Lindt and Dove are gluten-free, as are most of Hershey's chocolates.

Google whatever it is that you want and I guarantee someone has made it gluten-free. Thanks to all the cooks out there!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AnneM Apprentice

I have never eaten a drop of gluten on purpose since the day i was diagnosed. The way i get through the depression and cravings is that I keep telling myself that gluten is POISON to me, I can't even imagine EVER deliberately putting gluten in my mouth ever again. I have had dreams about eating things I shouldn't but I keep telling myself it is poison..and it curbs my cravings.

You do need to find a good substitution for your cravings.

Archived