This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hi Fiber, Low Carb, Low Fat

earthgoddess0308

earthgoddess0308 Newbie

Hi all,

I am having a bit of an issue with the new diet I have to be on. I have gained several inches and have had to substitute my 11 grams of fiber and 10 carb cereal for 2 grams of fiber and 20-40 carb cereal now that I cannot eat wheat and gluten. Can anyone suggest some healthy alternatives to hot dog/hamburger buns or bread and cereal in general that is low fat and carb?

Thank you!

:huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sugarmag Newbie

I know, it's really hard trying to figure out what to replace with what you used to eat!

I really like Glutino brand Fiber bread:

Open Original Shared Link

For cereal, I like Enjoy Life brand cinnamon crunch granola cereal. There's also berry ones, I just like the cinnamon myself!

It will take some time, but I'm sure you'll lose those inches and find good replacements!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

You could skip the bread and cereal...

I get most of my fiber from veggies and nuts and figs and the like.

Oh yeah, a GREAT way to get your fiber, is to have these yummy "pancakes":

2 cups whole flax seeds or 3 cups flax seed meal

2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil (I just put it near the stove or in the dehydrator for a minute to liquefy, is solid at room temp)

1/2 cup agave or maple syrup (watch this - it comes out pretty sweet)

1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt

1/4 cup water

You mix it all together, then shape it like a pancake, and add nuts or fruit or whatever to the top. It adds fiber to your diet, and tastes great. If you like sweet in the a.m., this will cover your sweet tooth. If not, it makes for a good dessert, too. it's a bit weird in the texture department - at least nothing like a pancake - but I find it has helped regulate me quite a bit. And virtually no carbs either. The coconut fat is good fat, so no worries there, unless you're having trouble digesting fat - that's a different story. it keeps in the refer, so I keep some all the time along with some frozen fruit.

Anyway, good luck.

earthgoddess0308 Newbie
I know, it's really hard trying to figure out what to replace with what you used to eat!

For cereal, I like Enjoy Life brand cinnamon crunch granola cereal. There's also berry ones, I just like the cinnamon myself!

It will take some time, but I'm sure you'll lose those inches and find good replacements!

earthgoddess0308 Newbie

Thank you soo much!! :) I will try both!

earthgoddess0308 Newbie

2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil (I just put it near the stove or in the dehydrator for a minute to liquefy, is solid at room temp)

1/4 cup water

You mix it all together, then shape it like a pancake, and add nuts or fruit or whatever to the top. It adds fiber to your diet, and tastes great. If you like sweet in the a.m., this will cover your sweet tooth. If not, it makes for a good dessert, too. it's a bit weird in the texture department - at least nothing like a pancake - but I find it has helped regulate me quite a bit. And virtually no carbs either. The coconut fat is good fat, so no worries there, unless you're having trouble digesting fat - that's a different story. it keeps in the refer, so I keep some all the time along with some frozen fruit.

Anyway, good luck.

This sounds so good...a little odd but it's worth a shot! I am not really a big sweet person, but in the morning, i love it...I will let you know how it turns out

Thank you very much!

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I've learned to enjoy my burgers without a bun-- just use a large lettuce leaf on each end in place of the buns.----- Or you could use a portebello mushroom for one bun and a lettuce leaf for the other.

I don't do cereal because of high carbs--- most mornings, I have an omelet with veggies, bacon, plain yogurt and an apple.

Don't know what to do about the hotdog buns--- haven't had a chili dog in so long --------------- :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

earthgoddess0308 Newbie
I've learned to enjoy my burgers without a bun-- just use a large lettuce leaf on each end in place of the buns.----- Or you could use a portebello mushroom for one bun and a lettuce leaf for the other.

I don't do cereal because of high carbs--- most mornings, I have an omelet with veggies, bacon, plain yogurt and an apple.

Don't know what to do about the hotdog buns--- haven't had a chili dog in so long --------------- :(

I will have to try the Portebello, sounds good....I did the lettuce and Turkey Burger last night and all though messy, it was good!

If I don't have fiber from a bar or cereal in the morning, my stomach literally does not work the entire day, I get bloated etc and every morning I drink a WF/gluten-free Fiber powder. I am going to accupuncture for my digestive system but we'll see.

By the way, I eat corn tortillas with my hot dogs, but you can look at gluten free mall site. :)

Thank you!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Perky's Nutty Flax cereal has 7g of fiber, and if you add some ground flax meal or hemp seeds to it there's a non-trivial amount of fiber (and a reasonable amount of good fats) for 44g of carbs. Despite the fact that I'm hypoglycemic (and particularly sensitive in the morning), I find this works for me.

Of course, other alternatives, like a high-fiber fruit or vegetable, along with eggs, for breakfast are good too. Peanut butter on rice cakes is a quicky for me, but might have too little fiber for you. You could make muffins, using whole grain gluten free flours. I generally use montina, a small amount of rice flour - less than 1/5th the total flour, and flax meal and make muffins that are hearty and high in fiber.

The One Apprentice

I would also recommend adding veggies and fruits to your diet, berries [blueberries, strawberries] are high in fiber, so are apples, I know this will sound crazy but if you shred your apple and add sugar they are tasty, another way to make them good is chop the apples in chunks, sprinkle as much sugar/or splenda for less sugary, and pop it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, they come out soft and warm and delicious, just to go out of the ordinary.

For fruits, green beans are high in fiber, avocadoes are very high in fiber, I don't normally eat avocadoes because I don't like the taste of them on their own but I've found a way to make them taste awesome, courtesy of my sister's ideas ;] chop up the avocado in small pieces [mash it with a fork or pop it in a food processor or blender for a sec], mix it up with sour cream, choped tomato [you can put it with the avocado in the processor], parsley, salt and there you have a delicious, high fiber dip to dip your corn tortillas chips in, tostitos has gluten free tortilla chips.

kschauer Rookie

1/4 cup water

Anyway, good luck.

Do you just brown these like a "normal" pancake?

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Have you tried the yogurt everyday (like Danactive) for your sluggish digestive system??? I just eat plain yogurt everyday and it helps. :)

Archived