Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woolwhippet

Got Enterolab Gene Test Results Back Today

Okay, I have the results. I have neither of the main celiac genes but I do have one gluten sensitivity gene.

HLA-DQB1, ALLELE 1, 0301

HLA-DQB1, ALLELE 2, 0402

Serological equiv: HLA-DQ 3,4 (subtype 7, 4)

So, I am not celiac but it does support why I am reacting to gluten.

I am off to find out more info...

~Ill for 5 years with progressive symptoms: anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, "D", and the noisiest stomach you've ever heard, and a lovely itchy rash on my buttocks, scalp, and sometimes thighs. ~ Family history of Celiac disease (Uncle, cousins, grandmother) ~ Blood work showed some antibodies but not enough to be dx celiac ~ Dq7 & Dq4. ~ I can't call myself Celiac but I know gluten is bad for my body.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is not enough, by itself, to support a conclusion that you are reacting to gluten. Practically everyone has either celiac or gluten sensitivity genes, but this doesn't automatically make them celiac or gluten sensitive.

I am curious why you went with the gene testing rather than the antibody testing which would show if you were reacting to gluten.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

Hathor is correct. Only DQ4, a gene found in Asians, is not considered to be gluten intolerant. ALL other genes are gluten intolerant genes .... so only a 100% Asian doesn't have gluten intolerant genes.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Join eNewsletter

And just cause you have the gluten gene doesnt mean you are intolerant, just like some have the celiac gene and never get celiac. It would have been better if you could of done the stool testing to see if you are reacting to gluten. Also just cause u dont have one of the main celiac genes does not mean you dont have celiac, I am living proof of that.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

I read taht DQ7 is very similar to DQ8 which is the other celiac gene besides DQ2.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/44/8/1755

"Eight of the 122 celiac disease patients lacked both the heterodimer and the DRB104 alleles; therefore, we further screened the DQB1 locus to investigate if other alleles were present in association to celiac disease (2)(14). Two of these eight celiac disease patients showed the DQ2 molecule (DQB10201 allele in heterozygosis); but one of them carried also the DQB10501 allele, also found in Sardinian patients to be associated to celiac disease (15); four showed the DQ7 molecule (DQB10304 or DQB10301 alleles). Another patient carried the DQ8 molecule encoded by the DQB10302 allele, and the remaining patient had the haplotype DQB10501 in homozygosis (15). The DQ8 molecule seems to be an alternative to DQ2 in influencing susceptibility towards celiac disease, being present in up to 20% of celiac patients not bearing of DQ2 in the Mediterranean area (2)(14)(16). Our data do not support an earlier finding that HLA-DQ7 is a nonsusceptible molecule (2). In fact, DQ7 was present in 50% of our celiac disease patients in the absence of the heterodimer and of the DRB104 alleles. Because the DQ7 molecule is very similar to the DQ8 molecule, it could alternatively present similar gluten-derived peptides to restricted T cells (17). DQ7 has been detected in a few celiac disease cases in the absence of DQ2 but in association with the DRB104 alleles (18). "

I just noticed there was a DQ1 too....( 0501 )

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Join eNewsletter

I went with the gene test because I know I react to gluten through many months of elimination diets, so I decided just to have the gene test out of curiosity because I felt that the antibody test would tell me what I already know. I also wanted to exclude celiac disease and differentiate between celiac and sensitivity.

I am so glad I did the gene test because after a late night researching I have learned to much of what can also be derived from these results. DQ3 subtype 7 is apparently also the culprit for milk allergies.

As for my having DQ4--I am still trying to figure out why an Irish/northern English Lass such as myself would possess such a gene! I'm blaming those Spanish conquistadors and my specific type is most commonly found in the Andean region of south america.

Nora--that information is wonderful. Thanks for posting it. I have biopsy diagnosed celiacs in my family and I am trying to convince them to do the gene test to see which genes are expressed. I feel that gluten intolerance is a spectrum disorder and I would love to see how genes play a role (as my Uncle tells me he would die it he ate a piece of bread, I just have intestinal problems, and one of my cousins gets depression).

I also wonder if there is a bias in the reasearch because so many test subjects are of northern european descent.

~Ill for 5 years with progressive symptoms: anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, "D", and the noisiest stomach you've ever heard, and a lovely itchy rash on my buttocks, scalp, and sometimes thighs. ~ Family history of Celiac disease (Uncle, cousins, grandmother) ~ Blood work showed some antibodies but not enough to be dx celiac ~ Dq7 & Dq4. ~ I can't call myself Celiac but I know gluten is bad for my body.

Join eNewsletter

Maybe I just don't understand gene tests, But from what I have read a person needs both an alpha allele and a beta allele to make a celiac gene. According to Dr. Greene's book these are the celiac genes.

DQ A1 *0501 and DQ B1 *0201 make up DQ 2

DQ A1 *0301 and DQ B1 * 0302 make up DQ 8

Enteolab only seems to list DQ B . Why is that? what am I missing?

neesee

Join eNewsletter

The DQ2 may be from both alpha and beta, but the more commone DQ2 is just one...this is described in detail some other places.

So, DQ2 can involve just one allele or two for one expression.....

There are illustrations online from the researchers here in Norway, must find the links, but one illustration is at http://www.tidsskriftet.no/pls/lts/pa_lt.p...&vpexternal=0

and http://avd.rikshospitalet.no/Nettundervisn...0HLA_sykdom.ppt see slide 25

Maybe the mavens can read this article i linked to and comment, for me it looks like they found one double DQ1 celiac.

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter